Student Spotlight: Henry Howland C’20 – Cybersecurity Analyst

Henry Howland C’20

• Major: Computer Science
  • Minor: German
  • Launch communities: Science Technology, Engineering and Sustainability.
  • Clubs: Drew Information Security Club, Philosophy Club, Computer Science Club

The class size, beautiful campus, and the opportunities available to students because of the proximity to the city were all very desirable. I wasn’t certain I wanted to major in computer science, even though I had always enjoyed the subject, but once I was at Drew, I found I enjoyed the problem-solving aspect of computer science more than I realized.

What is it about your field that draws you to it?

I enjoy the types of problems presented by the work, and it keeps me extremely close to new and developing technologies. Information security is also a rapidly expanding industry with a near zero unemployment rate.

I intern for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in their Security Operations Center as a Jr. Cybersecurity Analyst. I also interned for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in the summer of 2019. It was a great experience and I do not think I would have been hired if the Career Center had not helped me refine my resume and provide the career growth and interview resources they did. I really enjoyed my internship and had never worked so hard in my entire life. It was so rewarding to be solving real world problems. I was born in North Carolina, raised in New York and now my family is in Florida, so I had to move up here for the summer and that experience taught me so much about self-reliance and has overall made me more confident in myself. I feel that I can solve any problem with enough hard work because of what I was able to learn and overcome at my internship. They were pleased with my performance so they kept me on, and I have been working with them through the year. I am looking forward to an even more involved stint with them this Summer!

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

I’ve always enjoyed and looked forward to my German classes. I am grateful to have shared these classes with some excellent people over the past few years. Pre-exam midnight breakfasts are awesome!

What is something you are most proud of?

I am proud of starting the Information Security Club and watching it grow over the past two years.

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

I hope to be working in New York City.  I would like to eventually reach a consulting position in cybersecurity, being able to make my own hours and choose my clients. Past that, I would like to help develop government policy and regulations on the subject.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Be conscious of the fact that everyone is finding out what works for them. Don’t be discouraged if your friends change in the process of finding out who you work with the best.

Fun Fact (s) about you?

I can stand on my head and sing the alphabet backwards at the same time.