Student Spotlight: Kiyah Colson C’20

Kiyah Colson  C’20

• Major: Studio Art
  • Launch Career Community: Arts, Communications & Languages
  • Launch Identity/Affinity Communities: Ethnic Heritage and Commuter

Kiyah is a talented graphic/comic artist and illustrator who loves manga and anime, enjoys creative writing and gaming, and hopes to be a comic book artist, animation director, or a graphic designer in the future.

I was born in New York and raised in Newark, NJ

It gave me an opportunity for a well-rounded education and an excellent financial aid package.

Why did you pursue Studio Art as a major? 

I knew I wanted to major in art ever since I was 12 but I didn’t get serious about it until I got to Drew. It’s fun, I’m good at it, the end result makes me excited, and I love sharing that excitement with others. I honestly can’t imagine myself doing anything else.  I liked anime and cartoons and wanted to be able to draw them. Now, my art represents being more comfortable with who I am and the life I live.

Have you done any short or nycTRECs?

Yes, I did the New York Semester on Contemporary Art.  It really changed my perspective on contemporary art. Before this experience, I thought the whole art scene was over-hyped, but after talking to artists, I gained a new appreciation for this type of work. The NY Semester also gave me the courage to create what I want to create. I realized my work did not need to have a deeper meaning.  Since this experience, I feel more comfortable sharing my drawings with others.

Can you name one or a few favorite classes you’ve had at Drew?

So far my favorite classes have been Color Theory, Digital Animation, and Studio Art. I feel those classes taught me something new and relevant, and I was extremely motivated to do the work.

What is your dream job?

I hope to be a comic book artist, animation director, and/or a graphic designer. I’m drawing and putting my work out there as best as I can.

What advice would you give to first-year students? 

Do your homework; just get it done. Always go to class, perfect attendance will bring your grade up. We’re all tired, you’re not special. If you’re in a crisis, go get help immediately. Don’t wait until it gets worse and affects your academic process. Make friends who do their work and care about their grades. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference on your motivation to work. Don’t take college for granted; there are a lot of people who can only dream of being where you are right now. Apply for internships (I did the Digital Humanities Summer Institute in 2019). Do what you enjoy doing, and your major will come. Don’t be afraid to take a year off if you need it. Organize when to have fun and when to work. Learn how to cook your own meals. Make friends, not frenemies. Go outside. And try to keep track of the events going on, they’re actually really fun and educational.

Fun Fact (s):

I like horror movies, Batman mythology, and listening to Let’s Plays and YouTubers (My favorites are Macdoesit and GrayStillPlays) while I draw. Sometimes I think I was destined to be a therapist because I’m a good listener and give thoughtful advice, but I then I realize I like art too much.

by Yasmin Acosta, Launch Catalyst, Arts, Communications & Languages Community