Student Spotlight: Tyrel Edwards C’20

Tyrel Edwards C’20

• Major: Neuroscience (Pre-Med track)
  • Minor: Spanish
  • Launch Career Community: Medicine & Health Professions
  • Launch Identity/Affinity Community: First-Generation
  • Clubs: Soccer, Rugby, Basketball

I was attracted to its small size, and its beautiful, peaceful, natural surroundings.

I intern at University Hospital in Newark, NJ. instead of shadowing doctors, I focus on patient care. I make rounds to see how patients are feeling, address their concerns, converse with them and assist nurses.  I work primarily on the neurosurgery floor where I help the nurse manager in making discharge calls and do research in the ER where I collect data for studies being done to improve patient care. Overall, this is a really fun experience because I get to assist and interact with a lot of patients and even utilize my Spanish-speaking skills.

Have you done any NYC, ShortTREC or study abroad experiences?

In Spring of 2019 I did the ShortTREC “Environment, Behavior and the Brain” in Australia. This was a great experience. We spent three weeks engaging with different environments in Australia to see how behavior is affected by different areas, such as a city or rural area. We also attended presentations from different professionals across Australia who discussed their research. We had time to experience the sites in Australia and observe the Australian lifestyle. I also did some research with a group on health disparity between non-indigenous and. indigenous Australians.

What are your career goals?  

I’d love to be a Neurosurgeon.

What is it about the field of neuroscience that draws you to it?

I love the brain and its functions, particularly how it affects human behavior. I want to understand why people do what they do. There is so much to learn about the brain.

What is an issue in the world that you are passionate about?

I am most passionate about public health-related issues such as health disparities between different groups or races and the social determinants of health.

What is something you are most proud of?

Graduating with good standing.

If you could go back to your first-year self and give him advice what would it be?

Stay focused on your main goals no matter how many distractions and join a non-sport club.

In general, what advice would you give first-year students?

Know yourself.

Fun Fact (s) about you?

I like to write poetry, play sports and dance. I attended part of high school in Jamaica. I know how to surf. I learned how to swim in the Great Barrier Reef but cannot swim in a pool, and I have a pizza portfolio.

By Yasmin Acosta, Launch Catalyst