Great tips on how to prepare from Job Search Strategist Hannah Morgan
- Test audio and camera.
- Elevate your laptop to avoid staring down into the camera.
- Dress professionally.
- Position yourself at a table, against a plain, neutral background.
- Check the lighting in the room.
- Close all other applications on your laptop.
- Silence your cell phone, and disable vibration.
- Have a copy of your resume at hand.
- Attach post-its around the laptop screen with prompts + questions you wish to ask the interviewer.
- Exclude kids, pets etc from the room for the duration of the interview.
- Have pen and paper at hand.
- Have a glass of water next to you.
- Have the phone number of the interviewer in case video connection is lost.
Before going into the interview :
- You have fully researched the company in depth.
- You know who your interviewer is.
- You have practiced behavioral questions using S.T.A.R (Situation, Task, Action, Result).
- You will send a “thank you” email within 6-8 hours of the interview.
That’s the way to ACE a video interview!
Look into the camera, not the screen. Video interviews are something we’ll see more of, even after additional tips for how to navigate a remote interview process. concerns subside. Read these
Do you have questions or need practice? Schedule an appointment on Handshake to meet with any of the Career Center Staff virtually. Don’t forget to visit the Career Center for a variety of online resources.