Student Spotlight: Interview with Yue Wang C’20

Yue Wang (Isa) C’20

• Major: Studio Art
  • Minors: Photography and Media & Communications
  • Launch Career Community: Arts, Communications & Languages
  • Launch Identity/Affinity Community: International Student
  • On Campus Work: Art Monitor

http://wangyueart.com/

What attracted you to Drew University?

I was born and raised in Guangzhou, South of China and I wanted to study in America, a different country with a vastly different culture.

Tell me about your interest in photography? 

I began taking photos because I was inspired by my father who is an amateur photographer. In my photos, I like to discover what is beautiful in the world but recently, I have also started to think about the meaning behind my photos.  What is the hidden message?

Self-Portrait 1-6, 2019, pigmented inkjet print 8 x 10 in

Tell me about your art?

I usually show my Chinese culture through my paintings. It gives me a sense of power because it is tied to my identity.

South City, 20019, oil on canvas, 52 x 42 in.

Koi, 2018, oil on canvas, 24 x 31 in.

Palace, 2018, watercolor and gouache on paper, 24 x 36 in.

Have you done any NYC or shortTRECs or have you studied abroad? 

Yes, I have done the New York Semester on Contemporary Art. It was exciting because we visited a lot of museums, galleries and artist studios.

What are some of your favorite memories over the last 4 years at Drew?

My favorite memories involve the student art exhibitions at Drew because every year I have been able to showcase and get feedback on my work.

What are a few of your favorite photographers?

Fan Ho and Ren Hang are my favorite photographers. Both of them come from China, and I love how they use their photography to show Chinese culture. They also have good photography aesthetics and art skills. I especially love photography about traditional Chinese culture that have unique composition and color. For example, Approaching Shadow” was a photo by Fan Ho, Hong Kong, in 1954.

Do you have any hobbies, interests or fun facts you would like to share? 

I danced in the Chinese traditional dance team from primary school to high school (12 years) and joined a street dance team in high school. I also studied piano for over ten years.  Now these activities have become my hobbies.

What are your career goals and where would you like to be in 5 years?

I want to be a professional photographer. I know I can do a variety of work in this field. For example, I worked as a still photographer for a short NYU film called The Last Breath of Spring and this past summer (2019), I had an internship in a fashion photography agency called YYO Communications where I had an opportunity to learn fashion and commercial photography.

After graduating Drew University, I would like to attend graduate school, preferably an arts school, to further improve my work. After grad school I hope to find work in the arts.