Student Spotlight: Kelly Duddy C’19, G’20

Kelly Duddy C’19, G’20

• Baldwin Honors Scholar
  • Civic Scholar

Drew College of Liberal Arts:

• Majors: History and French
  • Minors: Dance and Holocaust Studies
  • Clubs: Captain of the Rangerettes
  • President of the Catholic Campus Ministry
  • French Club, History Club, Budgets and Organization Board (Student Liaison)

___________________________________

Drew Caspersen School of Graduate Studies

• Master of Art in Teaching Secondary Social Studies, Endorsements in ESL and French
  • On-Campus Jobs: Student Teacher, Resident Assistant, and Lifeguard
  • Launch Career Communities: K-12 Education; Social Impact, Education, Law & Government; Arts, Communications, & Languages; and International Opportunities.

Philadelphia, PA

I knew I wanted to be a teacher, and when my high school principal told me it’s better for future teachers to have a bachelor’s in their subject area and a master’s in teaching I knew Drew’s 4+1 MAT program was perfect for me!

What is it about History that draws you to it?

I think in a global, often divisive world, it is essential to develop tolerance and critical consumption skills. This is why I love history and the idea of teaching Social Studies because I want to help prepare students to be the next group of informed, tolerant leaders in the world.

I completed two internships in Holocaust Education at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in NYC. I had the opportunity to teach about the Holocaust in NJ and NYC schools, as well as complete archival work in the digital collections. These were the most formative experiences I had as an undergraduate. I also had an internship where I taught dance classes at Morristown Neighborhood House and Lester Senior Living.

Have you done any NYC, Short or LongTREC or study abroad experiences?

I spent a month practicing French in the summer ShortTREC to Paris, I presented at a conference on Holocaust education mandates for the History, Culture, and Conflict Short-TREC in Ireland, I learned about Francophone businesses during the short-TREC to Quebec, and I volunteered in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria with the Volunteer Resource Center.

Have you had any mentors at Drew?

Kerry Klug, former director of Campus Recreation, was an influential support for me. He mentored me as a co-captain and captain of the Rangerettes, and he is the reason I became a Resident Assistant. Prof. Joshua Kavaloski was another mentor. He always supported my research in Holocaust Studies, whether I was presenting at a conference in Ireland, writing research papers at Drew, or applying for internships. Prof. Kimani Fowlin also really pushed me creatively in terms of dance, and always supported my interdisciplinary balance.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

Some of my favorite and most exciting memories include performing for the Rangerettes and the Dance Show, as well as my travel opportunities. Another favorite memory and something I am proud of is when I completed my Senior Civic Project by hosting a dance workshop at Morristown Neighborhood House (NABE) during my senior year, and also writing a thesis in History/Holocaust Studies.

What is the issue(s) in the world that you are you most passionate about?

The issue that I most passionate about is Education, particularly a quality education, which is a privilege and a gift. The MAT program does a great job encouraging teacher candidates to base their lessons on the Social Justice Standards. Education should be both a reflection of a student’s own experiences and culture, as well as a window into the culture of others.

Do you have any hobbies, interests, or fun facts you would like to share?

Dance! Even in post-undergrad, I am still dancing with two alumni at Continuum Dance Co. I also love to read!  Fun Fact? My favorite historical figure is Benjamin Franklin <3

What are your career goals and where do you hope to be in 5 years?

My goal is to be a teacher. It’s already going well thanks to Drew’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. I am currently teaching 6th grade Social Studies, co-teaching 8th grade French, and practicing English as a Second Language (ESL) push-in and I love it! I would also love to teach dance on the side one day!

What advice would you give first-year students?

Don’t worry about being perfect. College is the time to make mistakes and learn from them. Be an active member of the community, join new clubs, take a variety of classes, and attend games and events. The best way to make friends and grow as a person is to immerse yourself in the college experience.