Student Spotlight: Kyle Gniazdowski C’20

Kyle Gniazdowski C’20

• Majors: Business and Sociology
  • Minor: Economics
  • Launch Career Community: Business, Finance & Entrepreneurship
  • On-Campus Jobs: Resident Assistant (RA) for the Suites complex, specifically for Foster Hall; Coordinator for the Orientation Committee; Desk Attendant then Office Manager for the Student Engagement Office, and Office Assistant for the Career Center (1st year).
  • Club: Former President and current Senior Advisor for the Club Volleyball team!

I was attracted to Drew’s business program and specifically the Semester on Wall Street, which I was fortunate enough to participate in last Spring.

Did you know what you wanted to major in your first year? 

I knew I wanted to major in Business, but my decision to add Sociology as a major and Economics as a minor came after I enjoyed classes in those subjects.

What is it about Business that draws you to it?

I really enjoy numbers and working cohesively with others to come to a conclusion or meet a goal. I believe that encompasses the Business degree, especially at Drew. There is a large effort to brainstorm with fellow classmates to design beneficial solutions. This is a large portion of the Shark Tank presentations as well, which I have also participated in as part of my Business major.

I am currently interning at Simon Quick Advisors, a wealth management firm, in Morristown, NJ. It has been a fantastic experience so far, and I am fortunate enough to be learning an extraordinary amount from the individuals that I work with. This internship has allowed for direct experience in terms of business, and has allowed me to use what I have learned in class in a real world setting.

Have you done any NYC, short or longTRECS or have you studied abroad?

I was selected to be part of the Semester on Wall Street, in the spring of 2019. It was an incredible experience, and I would highly recommend it! It was an amazing opportunity to meet and speak with alumni working in the corporate world and it helped me determine what I want to pursue in the future. The experience and knowledge gained from this semester was priceless.

Did you have any mentors at Drew?

One mentor is Suzanne Rocco, my supervisor in the Student Engagement Office. Suzanne truly encompasses the best of Drew.  Another mentor is Joshua Phillips, supervisor for the Resident Assistant position, and lastly, I was lucky enough to work closely with mentors Steph Mazzarella and Dean Michelle Brisson in the Student Engagement Office for three years. I am extremely grateful for all of the opportunities and experiences they provided me!

What world issue(s) are you most passionate about?

I have worked with individuals with disabilities at the Mid-Hudson Valley Camp in upstate NY for seven summers which has made me passionate about the issue of inclusion for those with disabilities.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

One of my favorite memories is being part of the Orientation Committee. I loved being able to greet and create programs for first-year students and the time I spent with other committee members forging friendships I know will last forever.

Another of my favorite memories is being Foster Resident Assistant for two years. I was able to become a friend to my residents, being there if they needed someone to talk to, and helping them with anything they needed.

A third favorite memory is participating in Club Volleyball. I was able to play the sport that I love with my closest friends, and make new friends too!

Other favorite memories involve walking into town with my friends and participating in events on campus.

What are your career goals? Dream job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I am interested in business and financial careers such as financial analyst, wealth management, and financial advisor. My dream job is to be a Chief Financial Officer. In 5 years, I hope to receive certifications, an MBA, and to be working in the business/finance industry.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Be yourself and be open minded! Do what makes you happy and enjoy your four years of college! Also, make sure to start your assignments ahead of time. It will make your life so much easier if you are not trying to do your work the night before!