Student Spotlight: Interview with Kevin Oates C’20

Kevin Oates C’20

I liked that Drew was located in a suburban area, had a close knit community, and had a great teacher program.

Did you know what you wanted to major/minor in your first year? 

At first, I wanted to major in Political Science because of my interest in the 2016 Presidential Election, but after taking a History class with Prof. James Carter, I felt history was a better fit.  I love learning the history behind certain events and how they relate to the present. I decided to minor in Political Science because I like its connection to History. One of the advantages of minoring in Italian is that it allows me to talk to my mother and grandmother who are fluent in Italian.

Though not an official “internship”, being a part of Drew’s MAT Program has allowed me to go into local schools as an undergraduate to observe classrooms.

What world issue(s) are you most passionate about?

The world issue that I am most concerned about is Education.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

One of my favorite memories at Drew was when my Resident Assistant took my entire floor out to McCools Ice Cream Shop in Madison during my first semester. My other favorite memory at Drew was being inducted into three National Honor Societies. I am a part of Phi Alpha Theta: National Honor Society in History, Delta Kappa Pi: National Honor Society in Education, and Gamma Kappa Alpha: National Honor Society in Italian. This was important to me because it demonstrated that hard work does pay off.

After graduating with my Master of Teaching I plan to become a High School History teacher. In five years, I hope to be pursuing my Ph.D. in History to achieve my dream job of being a History Professor.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Always remember that professors are there to help you. They want you to succeed!