Student Spotlight: Zelyn Kwok C’20

Zelyn Kwok C’20

I was born and raised in Penang, a tiny island in Peninsular Malaysia.

I was attracted to the hands-on experiences that Drew offers. As an Economics major, I was instantly sold when I learned about the Semester on Wall Street and The Fund, a student-run investment club on campus.

Did you know what you wanted to major in your first year? 

I knew I wanted to major in Economics before coming to Drew but didn’t decide on my Statistics minor until senior year.  I felt Statistics would be a great complement to Economics.

What is it about Economics that draws you to it?

I like the high intensity, the money, and the opportunity for career progression that Economics offers.

In my junior year, I was an investment banking intern at Oppenheimer and in my sophomore year, I was a relationship management intern at Nasdaq. They were very different in terms of culture and workload but they both provided insights into the capital markets from two different perspectives (financial services and public markets). These two experiences definitely reinforced my decision to be involved in the capital raising side because I enjoyed the high intensity and pressure.

Have you done any NYC, Short or LongTRECS?

I did the Semester on Wall Street in the spring semester of my sophomore year. Pros: I discovered what aspects of the financial industry that I loved early on in my undergraduate career which gave me more time to focus and work towards my goals. I also landed my internship at Nasdaq, thanks to the program! Cons: I was one of only two sophomores that got accepted into the program (most are juniors and seniors) and I was too intimidated to take full advantage of the networking opportunities.

Did you have any mentors at Drew?

Professor Marc Tomljanovich is one of my mentors. He has offered me guidance and support in relation to my academics and career since I did the Semester on Wall Street with him. Professor Jean King is another mentor. I love that she’s always transparent about her past work experiences in finance and she has also helped me with my resume, cover letters and even interview prep.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

Missing the train by one second and being late to the Wall Street program by an hour, midnight breakfast, sloppy Saturdays, and 1 a.m. C-store pizza runs.

Any hobbies or activities you enjoy that are not on your resume?

I like to draw and make travel videos. I’m trying to get into reading and embroidering.

What are your career goals? dream job?  Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years I see myself in an analyst or associate position at an investment bank but I would like to progress into private equity or structured finance.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Chill, stop stressing. Have fun but also understand the importance of having internship experiences before graduating. Work hard, play hard baby!!!!