Student Spotlight: Ella Farruggia C’20

I was born in China but raised in New Jersey and transferred to Drew because of the programs and location to home. Moreover, Drew has a large Business and Economics department and as an added bonus, one of my childhood friends is a Drew student and loves it.

Did you know what you wanted to major in your first year?

I originally wanted to major in Business and Chinese but after I listened to a podcast for an Economics class, on supply and demand and how it related to Uber, I decided to pursue Economics as a major.

What is it about Economics that draws you to it?

I love the creativity and structure of economics, with its many interconnected fields of study.

I did an internship last summer at the Liberty Hall Museum where I was a part of their education re-enactment program. I also created, redesigned and updated their elementary school programs to serve middle school students and itemized, researched and cataloged selections of the museum’s historical items.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

My favorite memories involve Thanksgiving dinners, midnight breakfasts, Holiday Balls, and staying up late talking with my friends and roommates.

Any hobbies, activities or fun facts you would like to share?

I like to read, sing out of tune, play with my dog, rant, pretend I’m going to exercise, and watching YouTube and Netflix.

What are your career goals and where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I hope to have a job that allows me to contribute to a team, help communities and small businesses, and give back to those who have helped me.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Talk to professors, go out and apply for that job or internship, stay connected with your friends not just through social media, don’t be afraid to eat alone, and drop the classes that you’re not interested in before the deadline.