Coping With Changing Summer Plans During COVID-19: Communicating with Employers

The last few weeks have brought swift and expansive changes to the way you expected things to happen. Employers are approaching the uncertainty of their next few months with a variety of responses – some are cancelling or freezing internship programs, postponing full-time hire and internship start dates, and some are making plans for remote work and training. Some employers have been proactive in their communication with potential and new hires, but what if you aren’t hearing back from the employers who hired or are considering you?

If you aren’t hearing from employers, it is appropriate to reach out and ask about the status of your situation. Below are some templates* for three types of situations that you can adapt and use as you communicate with employers. Thank you to Sarah Bell  for sharing these great resources for students!

Inquire about the status of a job or internship

Dear Hiring Manager: (Address to an individual if you have a contact)

Given the current situation with COVID-19, I am writing to inquire on the status of my position with {name of organization}. Has {name of organization} made any changes to the normal operating schedule? Will this affect my status and/or start date? I am excited to start as an {intern/full-time employee} and want to follow any guidelines put in place.

Thank you for any information you can provide; I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
{your name}

Ask about the status of an interview

Given the current situation with COVID-19, I am writing to inquire on the status of my interview with {name of organization}. Will this take place as scheduled in-person, or is there an option for a virtual interview? I am excited for the opportunity to speak with you, but want to follow any organizational guidelines put in place.

Sincerely,
{your name}

Request options for remote work for accepted opportunities

Given the current situation with COVID-19, I am writing to inquire on options for remote work for my {internship/full-time position} beginning on {date}. I am very excited at the opportunity to work for {name of organization} and hope we can mutually agree on a plan of action.

Sincerely,
{your name}

If you’d like to make an appointment to discuss more strategies for outreach or need any additional career related assistance, schedule an appointment on Handshake to meet with one of our staff! The Center for Internships and Career Development is here to support you!  Sign up today on Handshake for an virtual appointment!

Posted by Carolyn Parelli
Carolyn Parelli Associate Director Carolyn Parelli