Student Spotlight: Bianelly Tellez C’20

Bianelly Tellez C’20

I really liked what the English Department offered, the small classes, the London Semester, and the beautiful campus.

What is it about English literature that draws you to it?

I think literature is significant because it is a form of social expression. Not only does it reflect the social movements of the period when it was written, but it is applicable to contemporary times.

Have you done any NYC, long or shortTRECS?

I attended the London Semester in Fall 2019. It was a wonderful experience! Not only did I gain a greater understating of literature, but I also learned a lot about art, theater, and British politics. Living in the city was great! I grew more independent and made some amazing friends.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

One of my favorite memories happened the first day of classes that also happened to be my birthday. I had made some friends during orientation and even though I only knew them for a short period of time they gave me a cupcake and signed a birthday card for me with cute messages.  We are still friends today.

Did you have any mentors at Drew?

My advisor, Professor Neil Levi (English Dept.), was really helpful in motivating me to apply for the London semester and Professor Courtney Zoffness (English Dept.) really encouraged me to believe in my writing.

What are your career plans and where do you see yourself in 5 years?

After graduating from Drew University, I hope to attend graduate school to study Literary Theory. In 5 years, I want to be attending literature conferences around the world discussing American and Border literature through different critical theories.

If you could give advice to first-year students, what would it be?

Maintain a set schedule and stick to it!