Student Spotlight: Michael Kitsopoulos C’20

Michael Kitsopoulos C’20

I liked that Drew had a great political science department, a beautiful campus, and it was close to home.

Did you know what you wanted to major in your first year? 

I became very interested in politics in 2015 at the start of the presidential election. I knew then I would major in political science in college.

What draws you to political science?

I was interested in political science because I believed working in politics provided an opportunity to help people.  I still believe good people in government can create positive change.

I did an internship last summer (2019) in Drew’s Athletic Department. It was mostly administrative, but I had an opportunity to develop some new skills, and I really enjoyed working for Christa Racine, the Director of Athletics.

Did you have any mentors at Drew?

I had excellent Political Science professors at Drew. Some of my favorites were Prof. Phil Mundo,  Prof. Patrick McGuinn and Prof. Jason Jordan.  They are great professors, their classes were always interesting, and I acquired so much relevant knowledge that can be applied to my every day life.  They taught me how to think critically by always offering both sides of an argument.

Also, I couldn’t have asked for a better Cross Country Head Coach than Zack Mower, who is a Drew alum and now works in Admissions. He really helped me improve my times and was always so supportive.

What world issue(s) are you most passionate about?

I care about environmental issues, including climate change, clean air and water.  I also care about education and healthcare.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

One of my favorite memories is running on Drew’s Cross Country team last semester. I ran in high school but only joined Drew’s team my senior year so it was great to win the Landmark Runner of the Week Honors.

Another great memory is the trip to Trenton with Prof. Patrick McGuinn and other political science students, where we had an opportunity to meet Governor Murphy, Senator Ruiz, a Drew alum, and other government officials. (Nov. 2019)  It was great learning first-hand about state government and it was especially cool to meet the governor.

Another great memory was playing basketball at the gym with other Drew students.

What are your career goals? Dream job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

A year ago I was sworn in as a volunteer Firefighter and I’d love to do that as a full-time job.  I really enjoy it because it’s a way to help people and it never gets boring.  If not firefighting, I’d like to work in a career where I can help people and make a difference.

Any hobbies, activities or fun facts you would like to share?

I run approximately 45 miles a week and run many races.  I also love to work out, play basketball, and invest in the stock market. It’s a great way to make money if you invest well.

In general, what advice would you give first-year students?

Don’t procrastinate.  Join clubs. Show up to class on time.