Student Spotlight: Anna Bechtel C’20

Anna Bechtel C’20

I was born in Pennsylvania, but grew up in Connecticut.

I wanted to go to a small liberal arts college out-of-state and it reminded me of my high school.

What draws you to writing and media?

I always enjoyed writing and have a fascination with the news and TV.

I did an internship for the Mack Media Group podcast last summer (2019). My responsibilities included doing research on potential guests, preparing questions, writing blogs, and managing their Facebook page. Also, I have written for the The Odyssey every week for two years.

Have you done any NYC, short or longTRECs?

This past semester (Fall 2019), I was a part of the NYC Semester on Communications and Media. It was fun walking around the city every day and visiting businesses I could potentially work for. I was also excited to see a taping of The View, which included an interview with Jennifer Lopez.

Did you have any mentors at Drew?

Professors Liz Moore and Lisa Lynch taught me a lot about the journalism and media industries, Prof. Neil Levi was my advisor and was always available to offer advice, and I had fun taking classes with Professors Wendy Kolmar and Kimani Fowlin.

What world issue(s) are you most passionate about?

I am most passionate about feminism, LGBT+ and animal rights.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew over the last 4 years?

Some of my favorite memories include the NYC Semester on Communications and Media, taking Prof. Liz Moore’s journalism class sophomore year, taking “Movement for the Musical Stage” junior year, taking Prof. Wendy Kolmar’s classes, and going to Samantha Bee’s forum.

What are your career goals?

Ideally, I would like to be a journalist, or work for a media publication. I think it would also be fun to explore TV writing and producing.

Any hobbies or activities you enjoy that are not on your resume or Fun Fact (s) about you?

I love listening to podcasts, so much that I started a blog about them. I like to dance; in fact, I was briefly a dance minor. I love watching reality TV, particularly anything on Bravo, The Masked Singer, and RuPaul’s Drag Race.  I am also an amateur photographer and love taking landscape photos.

What advice would you give first-year students?

Buy a planner and try to use it all through the year. Also, make a checklist of everything you want to do each day, whether it’s academics, or fun.