COVID-19 Financial Aid FAQs

The Office of Financial Assistance has provided the following FAQ’s related to student financial aid during the COVID-19 crisis. Be sure to regularly review their website for updates.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I contact the Office of Financial Assistance during Drew Virtual Time (DVT)?

You can reach the Office of Financial Assistance by emailing or by leaving a message at 1-973-408-3112. Financial aid counselors are available for phone and Zoom meetings Monday through Friday.

Am I eligible for funding through the CARES Act?

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act was passed by Congress and signed into law to provide economic relief from COVID-19. The CARES Act established the Higher Education Relief Fund that sends money to schools to use as emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the pandemic (see below for more information).

Students who meet the basic eligibility for federal financial aid and who have the greatest financial need can be considered for these emergency funds. The Office of Financial Assistance will use your submitted application (link below) and your 2019–2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for funding. If you are eligible to file a FAFSA, but have not submitted for 2019–2020 yet, please do so at prior to submitting your application for emergency funding under the CARES Act; if you need assistance filing your FAFSA, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.

Unfortunately, international students, undocumented students, and non-matriculated students are not eligible for funding under the CARES Act. Students who are not eligible for federal financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Assistance.

In your application, please do not request assistance to directly pay for tuition, fees, room, and/or board charged by Drew University. CARES Act funds are not permitted by the federal government to be used for these costs and cannot be applied by the University to any outstanding balance on your student account. Any payments you make on your student account must be under a separate transaction. For questions about addressing an account balance, please contact the Student Accounts Office. Requests should focus on hardships and unanticipated expenses related to COVID-19. These hardships and expenses include, but are not limited to, those related to loss of employment, unexpected travel, technology needs, health care costs, additional child care costs, course materials, food, or moving.

We will review requests for relief as quickly as possible and will make awards to students as soon as we receive our funding from the Department of Education.  If you are approved for emergency funding, you will receive it as a direct deposit.  If you have not done so already, please update your direct deposit information using the refund tab in the Student Account Center, accessible through Treehouse.

For questions about the Cares Act and your eligibility for funding under this Act, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at

Apply for emergency funding from the CARES Act for COVID-19 here.

Will the change to remote, online learning at Drew affect my financial aid eligibility?

Your financial aid eligibility has not changed as a result of our move to remote, online learning.

What effect will taking a course as pass/low pass/unsatisfactory have on my Satisfactory Academic Progress as it relates to my financial aid eligibility?

Satisfactory Academic Progress has a qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (credits completed) component. Any course taken as P/LP/U will have no effect on your GPA. You will still need to successfully complete 12 credits in the spring term. Courses completed with a P or LP will count toward your 12 credits completed. Courses completed with a U will not count toward your 12 credits completed.

Will moving out of the residence halls have an effect on my financial aid eligibility?

Your eligibility for the spring term will continue to be based on your housing status prior to the COVID-19 crisis.

Will I continue to be paid for my Federal Work Study (FWS) job on campus?

Students with an FWS award and working in an FWS job on campus who are unable to work because of the COVID-19 crisis will continue to be paid for scheduled hours as long as they still have money in their FWS award left to earn. Do not submit your time on College Time for unworked scheduled hours. You should only be submitting your hours if you are actually working. The Office of Financial Assistance is working directly with supervisors and Payroll to ensure that you are paid.

What do I do if COVID-19 is creating a financial hardship for my family?

Please notify us of any changes in employment or hardships that result from COVID-19. We will let you know what documentation you need to provide and how we can help.

Does the COVID-19 crisis have any effect on my student loans?

All interest rates on federal student loans are set to 0% until September 30, 2020. Private education loan borrowers should contact their lender for information about those loans.

Has COVID-19 affected any FAFSA filing deadlines?

HESAA has extended the 2020-2021 FAFSA filing deadline for currently enrolled New Jersey Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) recipients to June 1, 2020. We encourage students to do their best to file by the original deadline of April 15, 2020, in order to receive their financial aid award for 2020-2021 as quickly as possible. Any student filing after June 1, 2020 will not be eligible for their NJTAG.

Posted by Dan Loughrey
Dan Loughrey Logistics Manager Dan Loughrey