Student Spotlight: Delaney Redford C’22

Delaney Redford C’22

I was born and raised in NJ and was attracted to Drew because of the Semester on the United Nations. From my time in Model United Nations in high school, and my attendance at a United Nations high school summer honors institute at a different university, I knew that I wanted to study at the UN for awhile. When I read that the Drew UN program gives students the ability to connect with UN speakers, I knew that I wanted to become a part of the program. I was also convinced by the small “family-like” community at Drew, demonstrated by everyone I met, especially by my admissions counselor who made me feel welcomed and comfortable at Drew.

What made you choose International Relations as a major?

I attended an international school for grades 8 through 12, so my exposure to international cultures sparked my interest. After a service trip to Honduras in my senior year of high school, I realized I wanted to connect cultures and help make a difference globally. Therefore, I decided to major in International Relations because I believe that a good place to start to make a difference globally is within the international political community.

In the summer of 2019, I interned at Leighton-Feldman LLC., a law office in Columbus, NJ.  I learned the basics of law research, writing legal documents, and the day-to-day functions of a law office. I even had an opportunity to participate in the execution of legal documents and to attend a court day at the state court in Trenton, NJ.

In the Spring of 2020, I interned at US Senator Bob Menendez’s office in Newark, NJ. I was exposed to the daily activities of the US Senate. I learned how the employees of the Senators complete their research, make communications, and help out their constituents. My favorite part of this internship was attending a Census press conference on my first day and being able to see the work of the government officials making a difference.

I am currently in the process of interviewing for internships with the US State Department.

No official mentors, but my advisors Professors Amy Koritz, Sandra Jamieson, and Carlos Yordan, plus Amy Sugerman, have been great help with all my planning!

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew?

One of my favorite memories of Drew is from my first year. I was accepted to be a member of the Drew Honduras Project and at the end of May 2019, we traveled to the Dominican Republic to do service work at a Girls’ home there. The last night of the trip, we had a dance party with the girls and the Sisters of the home. I remember tearing up because it made me so happy to see people from different cultures come together so seamlessly and just have fun and celebrate the joy in life.

What are your international experiences?

I attended an international school for middle/high school, I am an international relations major, I am in the United Nations program, and I have done service projects in Honduras and the Dominican Republic.

As an International Relations major, I would say that protection of human rights globally is very important to me. I also believe that the global fight for female equality is also important to me because of my previous experience at an all-girls school. But, the issue that probably means the most to me is the issue of access to education. Youth’s education has always been important to me because I grew up in a family of teachers, but after my service trip to Honduras to help build a school and learn about the education system there, it became even more special to me. I am so grateful for the wonderful education I have been able to receive my whole life, and therefore I want to work to help others gain an education too. I was able to do this for my first year Civic scholar project.

Any advice would you give international students?

Even though I myself am not an international student, I have been in other countries where I struggled with the language and differences in culture. From my experiences, I would say just embrace every second of it. Make connections, experience new things, and don’t be afraid to accidentally embarrass yourself because trust me we have all done it (I accidentally asked for a baby instead of a drink while talking in Spanish.)

My overall career goal is to work for either the US State Department or the United Nations. I hope to attend law school to get my law degree in International Law, but recently, after receiving some advice, I have also been considering going to Grad School to get my Masters in International Relations if I can get a state department fellowship. So, in five years, I hope to be done with my graduate-level schooling and starting a job within the international relations workforce. Eventually, I hope to be traveling around the world and helping to connect cultures and make policy changes.

Fun fact you would like to share?

A fun fact is that I am a total country girl at heart! I am a horseback rider, have won baking competitions at a county fair, and have worked on farms/at farm stands for over 4 summers.