Student Spotlight: Abby Huaccho C’23

Student Spotlight: Abby Huaccho C’23

From June 22 to July 31 I participated virtually in the NERA MedPrep HCOP Academy.  It’s a 3-year summer program where I got to interact with students in the medical field and participate in virtual clinical experiences. I also took courses in MCAT prep, organic chemistry and physics and attended workshops.  We had an opportunity to do a small project on how to handle health disparities.

Why are you interested in Bio-chemistry?

I took AP Biology the beginning of my senior year in high school and the molecular aspects really sparked my interest. My passion for chemistry grew as I took and enjoyed my chemistry courses at Drew.

My advisor and Chemistry Professor Adam Cassano who during Covid time kept in touch and told me what I should do to reach my medical school goal, including research, work, etc.  Another mentor is Joelle Falaise, Assistant Director of EOS & SDS, who has been a great support for me academically and socially as I am part of the Capture Success Scholars (CSS) program.

The world issue of inequality means a lot to me because I feel that it has such a big impact on society and our daily lives and should be addressed as much as possible.

Can you talk about your experiences as a commuter?

One of the challenges is the time constraint. It takes me an hour to get to school so I lose so much time commuting back and forth.  Commuting has made me better at time management.  Sometimes I stay in the Commuter Lounge until the traffic has subsided a bit.

Any advice for first year students who are commuters?

Give yourself time to get to know the Drew community.  Don’t just go to class and go home. Take the time to be in school and try to do homework at the lounge or library.  Don’t rush everything.

I hope to be a doctor, maybe a pediatrician. In 5 years I hope to be in medical school and looking into possible residency programs.

Fun Fact (s)?

Along with art, I love to play golf.