Alumni Spotlight: Lauren Mastropierro C’2018, First Grade Teacher

Lauren graduated from Drew in 2018 with a major in Spanish and a minor in Psychology. She went on to get her Master of the Arts in Teaching from Drew in 2019. As a graduate student, she did her student teaching in 4th Grade in the Morris School District and is currently in the Hanover Township school system as a first grade teacher. She also coaches softball and serves as a wellness coach.

THE VALUE OF DREW

What were your best experiences at Drew?

I had a lot of great experiences at Drew! If I had to narrow it down I would say the opportunity to go on a Spanish Language & Culture shortTREC to Barcelona, playing softball, being a Civic Scholar, and being on the Orientation Committee. Drew provided me with opportunities to expand my knowledge beyond the walls of the university. Immersing myself into the Spanish culture in Barcelona was one of the most amazing experiences. I was able to learn about another culture and understand the amazing diversity of the world. Having the opportunity to be a Civic Scholar allowed me to participate in and create events to help others and give back to the surrounding community. Being an orientation leader helped me to give back to the immediate Drew community and connected me further with the university. Lastly, playing a collegiate sport was always something I wanted to do and I was able to have that experience all 4 of my years there and then my graduate year as a Grad Assistant Coach.

How did Drew help you get to your current career?

Drew helped me get to my current career by providing me with diverse opportunities to expand my experience. I was able to work with students from all different backgrounds and use my skill set in different ways. For example, I connected my Civic projects with my area of study by creating a safe space for children with special needs and their families to come play with one another and get resources for community support.

What advice would you give students who are interested in pursuing a career in teaching?

My advice would be to get as much experience working with kids as possible and as many diverse experiences as possible as well. Sometimes people change their mind (which is fine!) and you would rather find out early if it is for you or not. These experiences will also prepare you more than any class can for the ever changing world of education.