Student Spotlight: Mariam Gelbakhiani C’21

Mariam Gelbakhiani C’21

Where were you born and raised and what attracted you to Drew?

I was born and raised in Tbilisi, Georgia which is situated midway between Europe and Asia and is easily remembered by it’s beauty, lush nature, hospitality and centuries of winemaking.

I was attracted to Drew instantly after discovering its proximity to the city and its multiple NYC programs, the wide choice of Art and Media classes, the diversity of students, and the more than 50 student clubs to check out. Also, it felt like home because so many students on campus are international. When I discussed my academic goals with faculty and staff I loved their emphasis on undergraduate business research. I wanted to get involved in the field right from the start.

I completed my first internship summer of 2019 in a freelance fashion marketing position at the global media company “Condé Nast” that produces some of the world’s leading social brands, including Teen Vogue. My career advisors assisted me with my résumé and cover letter which helped me obtain the position. My two months in this internship were a wonderful experience and I was able to connect with many interesting professionals and editors who empower, educate and make an impact all over the world. I recommend everyone follow the daily articles by Lauren Rearick, Claire Dodson, Elaine Welteroth, best-selling author, and Lindsey Peoples Wagner (LPW), current Editor-in-Chief.

Do you have a mentor at Drew?

My academic advisor and Professor of Economics Marc Tomljanovich (no longer at Drew) was a great mentor. He was by my side all the time and encouraged me to achieve more and more.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew?

My favorite memories include getting to know students from different backgrounds and listening to their interesting stories. Most of all I love spending time in this intelligent and beautiful community and making friends for life.

What are your career goals?

I hope my future career will involve working in collaboration with partners from around the world. In an ever-changing global business and economic environment, knowing how to work internationally is key.