Student Spotlight: Gabriella Ramirez C’23

Gabriella Ramirez C’23

It was close to home, was a small school, and was affordable for me as a low income student. The small campus makes it easier to form connections you would not be able to do in a larger institution. It gives students more opportunities to get involved and make an impact in their community.

Did you know what you wanted to major in when you started at Drew?

Originally I wanted to major in Neuroscience and Psychology, but changed to Political Science and Sociology after my first semester because I wanted to combine my knowledge of the government and societal structures to implement long term change.

I was a Campaign Intern for Solomon Rajput for US Congress – Summer 2020.  You can read more about it HERE

I also presented about the internship at the Launch Immersive Experiences Fair on October 2, 2020.

Rachel Sawyer, Coordinator of Residential Engagement, has supported me both academically and socially, and has definitely played a large role in my success as she recognizes my passions but also knows that I need to know my limits. She’s helped me reflect on my actions as a campus leader and made sure to look out for my well being.

Capitalism leads to a constant cycle of oppression towards minoritized communities, allowing those at the top to continue to profit and benefit from the abuse of the lower classes.

I want to use my education to be an advocate for minoritized communities. I would like to work in nonprofit administration or as an immigration attorney. However, I see myself working within the government to carry out the changes I want to see in what I see as a corrupt system that constantly pushes down the minority.

Fun fact you would like to share?

I really like the video game character “Kirby”