Student Spotlight: Joseph Obonyo C’22

Joseph Obonyo C’22

I was born in Nairobi, Kenya and I was attracted to Drew because it was close to NYC, the heart of the financial industry.  I was also drawn to the beautiful campus in the quiet town of Madison, and the small classes that provide an opportunity to develop close relationships to professors.

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

Finance affects everything from high level policy with the Federal Reserve, to international and small businesses, and us on an individual basis. I wanted to understand the intricate way money flows and I felt the best way to do this was to be close to the financial district in NYC.

I have been in conversations recently with Citibank and Morgan Stanley and I am hoping I can acquire an internship in the summer of 2021.

Can you talk a little about your co-curricular activities at Drew?

I love playing soccer at Drew because it gives me an opportunity to play a sport but with less of a time commitment.  I also enjoy being the Vice President of DEBS for many reasons.  Through this club I have met many mentors including some who have helped me structure my resume and connect me to potential opportunities.  The Fund is also a great opportunity for me to learn about investing.  We have a portfolio of stocks totaling $27,000, contributed by alumni.  Members of the Club decide what to invest in and we do stock pitches to see what’s viable.  Last week one alumni,  listened and critiqued one of my pitches.  It was very helpful.

I have learned a lot from Assistant Teaching Professor of Finance, Steven Firestone. I really enjoy the conversations we have in his class.  Another mentor is Drew alum, Richa Patel, who works at Morgan Stanley in Equity, Sales, and Training. She has given me a lot of great advice.

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew? 

The Semester on Wall Street is one of my favorite memories. I participated the summer before my sophomore year and it seems everyone was impressed by my energy and responses.  I have kept in contact with a lot of people I met during this semester and they have been very encouraging.

You can read more about it HERE

What are your career goals?

In 5 years I hope to be working in financial services preferably within an investment bank.

What advice would you give students who are just starting out?

Take every opportunity to learn something even if it’s not within your area of study. There is always something happening on campus.  There is a so much to learn and so many people to meet.  Also, try to learn more about what you like as soon as possible.