Student Spotlight: Georgia Brooker C’21

Georgia Brooker C’21

I grew up in a smaller town so Drew felt like home. I loved the campus and that I could major in Media & Communications and do a semester in NYC in that field.

Why did you choose Media & Communications and Sociology as a major and minor?

I love that Media & Communications is a broad field with so many potential career opportunities.  I want to pursue a job where I can do something creative and communicate with others. I find that social media is the perfect medium to combine my love of writing and creating content. Sociology is an excellent subject to combine with Media & Communications because it’s the study of people and within social media you have to figure out your audience and jump inside the mind of a brand.

My first internship was at the social media marketing company 42 Growth Strategies , a company based in Morristown NJ that works on branding health and wellness companies. It was an amazing opportunity and I was able to intern there for a year. I started as a Junior Account Manager and was promoted to the Social Media Manager for three accounts, two of those accounts were food brands which confirmed that I want to pursue a career in social media marketing for food.  Lauren, one of the owners, was an incredible mentor.  She went out of her way to allow me to try different ways of photographing food and creating digital content. She also made sure that I was doing well academically, and gave great advice. I am still in contact with her.

I am currently doing  a remote internship at Checkmate Strategies, a strategic communications firm. I create graphics with Canva for social platforms and assist in social media management.

Dr. Jonathan Reader in the Sociology department is an incredible professor.  He is both a friend and a mentor.

Have you done any short or nycTRECs?

I am currently in the Media & Communications semester remotely. I also did the shortTREC to Italy on food and culture with Dr. Occhipinti during the summer of 2019. I highly recommend both experiences!

What are some of your favorite memories of Drew? 

The Broadway trips have been very memorable and sledding on campus.

What advice would you give students who are just starting out?

Take advantage of every event, no matter how silly it sounds, go on the trips that Drew offers, wear rain boots on campus, make connections with professors outside of the classroom, do short or nycTRECs, and get out of your comfort zone!

I definitely want to explore the world of social media and public relations, specifically in the food industry or branding small businesses.  In 5 years I hope to be in a stable company working in social media.

Are there any fun facts you’d like to share?

I am a foodie. I love to try new ice cream and I paint in my free time. I also have a cute dog named Cooper.