Student Spotlight: Yida Ramirez C’21

Yida Ramirez C’21

The scenery, small school lifestyle, and its affordability. I knew this was the right place for me.

Why did you choose Psychology as a major and Sociology and Public Health as minors?

I thought that I wanted to major in Biology at first. I was originally planning on being pre-med. When I took a few courses in biology, I realized that it wasn’t for me, but I still wanted to help people.  When I took a course in sociology and we talked about how the environment affects groups it sparked my interest in this subject. I loved learning about theories in psychology and I knew I could focus on developmental psychology as a future career.  I think Public Health goes well with both sociology and psychology.

What are a few highlights of Drew?  

Some highlights would include freshman orientation, the Holiday ball, and volunteering in Mexico and the Dominican Republic with students at Drew.

Access to better healthcare in low and middle income areas as well as ending child hunger.

I hope to work in the field of clinical psychology and/or child psychology. In 5 years I will still be working with infants and toddlers.

Why are you interested in working with children?

I work at a daycare and it’s very rewarding.  I enjoy interacting with children and teaching them new things. I know I can have a huge impact on their lives.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I enjoy volunteering in different countries.  When I went to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks with the Drew Honduras Project to help orphan girls it was an amazing experience.  While volunteering in Mexico, also with Drew, I worked with children in schools and hospitals. It was a great experience because I was not also able to dive into my culture (I am Mexican) but help children in low income communities.