Student Spotlight: Bree Scotti C’21

Brianna Scotti  C’21                          

I was attracted to the liberal arts education offered at Drew.  I especially loved the art department, but I also liked that I could explore so many other subjects, like political science, psychology, and business.

Why did you choose to major in Studio Art and Business?

I was always drawn to studio art and liked the idea of being an artist.  I recently heard a great quote during my NY Semester on Art, “Having a piece of art in your house, reduces hospitalizations.”  This is especially important these days with Covid-19.  I chose business as a second major because there are so many areas of business that can advance you in any career. My goal is to find finance work within the art industry.  I am currently applying to the Master of Science in Finance program at Drew.

What excites you about art?

An artist is a person who hasn’t let their creativity die.  I believe we are made in the eye of a creator, which makes us all creators.  Our educational system is outdated and designed to create factory workers.  It breaks us down to fit into a box.  Children’s creativity is often ripped from them and they end up losing their artistic curiosity and spirit.  I always ask people the question, “how do you create?”  I think creating is tied to the meaning of life and I am glad I was able to hold on to my creativity.

Skull with Bird, 2017, Charcoal 30 x 24 in. by Bree Scotti

Have you done any short or nycTRECs?

I am currently doing the NY Semester on Contemporary Art.   We cannot go into the city because of Covid-19, but the upside is that we have an opportunity to talk to people from all over the world.  This is exciting because we are learning about a variety of opportunities in the art world.  We just talked to someone in Philadelphia, a much smaller art scene than New York City, which makes it easier to get a foot in the door. I also worked as a technology fellow for the NY Semester on Contemporary Art, to help students build their websites in where we are creating blog post about each art industry professional we have spoken to. This is my site: https://artjournal.scottibree.com/

I also did the Semester on Wall Street my junior year. It was great and inspiring to witness the hustle and bustle of midtown and lower Manhattan. Alumni were particularly helpful in talking to us about the pros and cons of getting an MBA right after college or waiting, etc.  Being on Wall Street was inspiring and made me see what is possible after college.

Another TREC was to Puerto Rico and Martinique, a French and Spanish trip where we had a week in each island. There were only a few French speaking students and since residents of Martinique did not speak English, I spent a lot of time translating for other students.  It was a different atmosphere than Puerto Rico.  I studied the influence of food on both islands.  Martinique was influenced by France and Africa, and Puerto Rico was influenced by Spain and the United States.

I also did a TREC to Quebec to study international business in French. They were more open to us practicing our French and I didn’t mind the cold weather at all.

El Morro Fort in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

Yasmin Acosta, Launch Catalyst, has always supported and helped me, whether it was revising my resume, or helping me read a job posting to create a stronger cover letter.

Another mentor is French Professor Dr. Marie-Pascale Pieretti. She accepted me into the “Biography of Paris and has helped me with my study abroad opportunities.

Of course my academic advisors, Professor Rita Keane, Professor Lee Arnold, and Professor Alex de Voogt, have continuously supported me to accomplish all that I accomplished at Drew.

The subject I am writing my honor’s thesis on is important to me. It’s how Social Media and Connective Technology is disrupting our relationships with one another. We need to come together through love, acceptance and forgiveness, for the world to change.  Understanding is key.  A lot of people are talking, but not listening. A lot of emotions are tied up with opinions.  We have to keep an open mind.  To be filled with hate, is to be filled with anger, and acting on this, will never be constructive.

I have good memories from the first week of school when I was so nervous and the orientation team of students was there to cheer us up. Humor is a great medicine and we were able to laugh away our nerves and meet new people.  It’s so interesting to see how those early friendships expanded and grew.  We are all stronger and have really grown up.  You definitely have a different mindset as you get close to graduation.  I also enjoyed the smaller student to faculty ratio at Drew and how you get to know every student on campus.

What advice would you give students who are just starting out?

Don’t be afraid.  There is nothing to fear.  Every step you take will take you down a beautiful path.  Even mistakes are lessons to learn.  Don’t let your mistakes discourage or scare you.  Keep on the path.  Don’t make choices out of fear.

I hope to have my Master of Science in Finance, and be working in a financial position in the art world.  I also have a dream of owning a farm.

Do you have any fun facts that you would like to share?

I love to ski and paint. I also recently learned to skateboard and would now love to try snowboarding.

Photo by Bree Scotti | Summer Sunset on the NYC Highline