Student Spotlight: Terence Lau C’22

Terence Lau  C’22 

I was born and raised in Malaysia and came to visit Drew before I applied. Meeting the great faculty in the Physics department encouraged me to apply.  I also loved the location.

Why are you interested in physics?

I think physics is the language of nature and physics is all around you, for example, if I dropped a pen we can ask how long would it take to reach the floor, here or on a different planet? It is very abstract and fascinating at the same time.

I haven’t done an internship yet because of Covid-19 but I did get accepted to do an internship at Mattel in Malaysia for next summer.

Every physics professor at Drew has been a mentor to me but if I had to name one specifically, I would say Dr. Minjoon Kouh.  We exchanged emails before I came here, and he helped me choose classes and gave me career advice, etc. and was very helpful.

I think it’s the technology divide that separates the rich and the poor, especially now because less fortunate students do not have access to computers and Wi-Fi.  It’s very unfair to them because they are just as capable as others but don’t have the means to an equitable education.

A favorite memory is experiencing winter for the first time which included the first time I saw snow fall and people throwing snowballs at each other. This was something I had only seen in movies but now I was seeing it in person.  Also, last year on Halloween I went out and enjoyed seeing how creative people get decorating their yards.  I found that very interesting.

Plan your class schedule thoroughly because some classes are only available in certain years or semesters.  Also use Drew Connect. I’ve used it and reached out to alumni including a former physics student at Drew who is now working at NASA on the Hubble Space Telescope.

Right now my next academic goal is to study engineering.  I am pursuing the Combined Degree Program with Columbia University.  After I graduate with a B.A. in Physics from Drew, I will go on to complete my B.A. in Engineering from Columbia University.  Long-term I hope to apply my skills in the real world, hopefully at well-established company but one of my life goals is to start up my own company one day.  I have two companies in mind, a general engineering company and another in motorsports, something I’m passionate about.

Do you have any fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I like the engineering of formula cars, video games and reading. To connect, please reach me out to me on LinkedIn