Student Spotlight: Mike McGeeney  C’21      

I was born and raised in Maryland and was recruited to play on the Lacrosse team.  When I spent the day with the team it felt like family. I also liked the small campus because it reminded me of home and lastly I liked all the opportunities that Drew offered including the Semester on Wall Street.

Why did you choose Economics, Business and History as majors and minor?

My junior year of high school I took AP Macroeconomics, and it just clicked with me.  I was able to understand it well and I realized I was good at it.  I have always loved history.  Being from Maryland my father took me to all the historical sites in the area.  If I became a teacher, I would like to teach history.

Former Economics Professor and advisor Dr. Jennifer Kohn.  She helped guide me in my choice of career.

I’m concerned with how divided we are politically.  No one is open minded.  It’s one way or the highway and everyone seems shut off to the other. The election in 2016 was bad but this last election really brought out the worst in people.

One of my favorite memories was my freshman year Drew Seminar called Earth: Past, Present, Future, with Professor of Chemistry Dr. Ryan Hinrichs.  I had an opportunity to go to NYC for the first time and it was so exciting to visit this big city and to visit the Museum of Natural History. I could have spent hours in there.  It was great!

Also, my sophomore year during spring break, one of our lacrosse games was cancelled because of a blizzard.  Our team was on campus together and when it stopped snowing we went out at 8 p.m., and with 2 feet of snow outside, we had a major snow ball fight. It was so much fun!

Another great memory was a Lacrosse game freshman year. I was the starting goalie at the time for Susquehanna. They were number one in the division and we were dead last at the time, but I was in the cage and we went into quadruple overtime with them and I found out later that I had the third highest saves (22 or 23) in a game.

When did you start playing lacrosse?

I started playing in first grade.  I come from a big Lacrosse family with two uncles in the Hall of Fame.  Lacrosse is a great way to challenge you physically and mentally but it’s also a great way to connect to people. For instance, growing up I played so many summer games and met so many kids from across the U.S.  It’s a great way to start new friendships.

Always be open minded and reach out to everyone. You never know when someone could connect you to a job opportunity. Always be nice to your professors. They can give you great tips and recommended things to look into.  Always be open to new things.

I hope to be successful and enjoy what I’m doing and have a job where I can also coach lacrosse.  Some potential jobs include sales, management, or even teaching.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I coached a youth team at the second World Series of Youth Lacrosse. Also, a friend of my dad’s took us up on a plane, took his hands off the steering wheel, and allowed me to take control of the plane, so I often tell people I flew a plane.