Student Spotlight: Caroline Chovanes C’22

Caroline Chovanes C’22                                   

I really liked the feel of Drew’s campus. I loved all of the trees. I thought it was beautiful! I also had great conversations with tour guides and professors on Discover Drew Days, which helped assure me that I could pursue many interests simultaneously.

Why did you choose Psychology and Spanish as your majors?

I chose psychology after I took the DSEM called The Psychology of Harry Potter. Psychology had so many fields and possibilities. Spanish was easier as I knew going into college that I at least wanted to minor in it. However, it just seemed natural to continue my learning, so it became a major instead of a minor.

I have leaned on my advisor, Psychology professor Dr. Jill Cermele throughout my entire time at Drew.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short or nycTRECS?

I was supposed to study abroad in Seville, Spain this past fall, but COVID unfortunately stopped those plans. I hope to go after I graduate, in the summer of 2022.

I think LGBTQ+ rights mean the most to me as I myself and other members of my family identify with that community.

A few of my favorite memories are my first holiday ball, all of the dance shows (as I made so many friends from working with them for hours on end), and the first couple of months of freshman year when everyone was getting to know each other and there were constant hang outs in TB Lounge.

Be open to trying new things, even if it is nerve wracking to put yourself out there. I had never taken a dance class before I tried out for the dance show my freshman year. Flash forward and now I am a dance minor and have fallen in love with dancing.

Dance Show

Cheer Team

I hope to be in my fourth year of a psychology PhD program in 5 years and hope to be involved in research and/or academia.

Any Fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I am super double jointed and can do weird party tricks like bending my pinky all the way back.