Student Spotlight: Kristine Masseria C’21

Kristine Masseria C’21

I was immediately drawn to Drew’s campus and all the nature within and surrounding it. I also love the small class sizes which really allow you to form a bond with your professors. The professors are also very easy to reach if you need any help with their class, and they are always ready and willing to help however they can!

Why did you choose Physics as a major?

I started with bio-chem because I’ve always had a love for the sciences, but after a year of classes, I decided that bio-chem was not the best fit. I knew that I wanted to stick with science, but I also wanted to incorporate more mathematics into my studies, so I changed my major to physics and I love it!

Physics professor Dr. Bjorg Larson is my academic advisor here at Drew, and she has been so supportive and helpful. Dr. Larson is such a welcoming person, and she genuinely cares about helping you on your college journey.

I’ve always been very passionate about the environment, and how we as humans impact it. I’m especially drawn to how our diets have an impact on the environment, and I love the idea that switching to a more sustainable diet with limited meat will not only benefit our own health and wellness, but also the health and wellness of the environment.

One of my favorite memories at Drew was winning the conference championship with my golf team. We were able to travel together to Houston, Texas where the NCAA tournament was, and visit the NASA space center while we were there. I’m really proud of how far the golf team has come these past 4 years. We went from being a brand new team to being the conference champions!

Another one of my favorite memories was when some of my fellow physics students and I travelled to a physics conference called PhysCon in Providence, Rhode Island. We gathered with physics students from around the world, and we were all able to hear from renowned physics professionals about their careers in this field

Take advantage of tutoring services in the library! It’s so easy and quick to make an appointment with a tutor and it’s extremely helpful.

I don’t know what I want my career to be yet, but I know that I want to do something hands on and investigative. I love problem solving and I hope to be able to utilize this skill in my future career.

Any Fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I’m really passionate about fitness and I actually run a fitness account on Instagram where I share my workouts!