Student Spotlight: Graham Munro-Ludders C’22       

Graham Munro-Ludders C’22                    

Standish, Maine

I loved the small and intimate setting Drew offers. I went to a large public high school so I knew I wanted to attend a college in which I could foster close relationships with my professors.

Did you know what you wanted to major in when you started at Drew?

I initially wanted to major in International Relations because I had been a huge Model UN fanatic in high school. But that of course has since changed.

What made you choose Philosophy as your major?

I fell in love with my Philosophy classes and knew I wanted to make it my major. I loved the rigor of philosophy, and in particular the way it fostered my curiosity. It gave me a love of learning which has honestly changed my life.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

My dream job upon first entering Drew was to join the United Nations. However, I now want to be a Professor of Philosophy.

I haven’t done any internships, but I have been very involved with Environment Maine, which is a canvassing organization which pushes for environmental policy. I was involved for two long and intensive campaigns, one of which focused on banning polystyrene (styrofoam) and the other which focused on banning pesticides which kill bees. The first campaign succeeded, and Maine was the first state in the nation to ban polystyrene. The second campaign is still ongoing in the Maine State House.

Do you have any mentors at Drew who are still employed by Drew? 

Dr. Seung-Kee Lee and Dr. Erik Anderson in the Philosophy department have been wonderful mentors to me. Their classes, particularly Dr. Anderson’s Problems of Metaphysics and Dr. Lee’s 19th Century philosophy class, have been enriching. Further, they’ve always been happy to have long conversations with me about philosophy. Dr. Maliha Safri is another mentor I’ve gotten close with, who has helped me in innumerable ways. I feel very indebted to all of them.

Tell me about your experience founding the Drew Democratic Socialists.

It has been one of the best aspects of college thus far. The conversations we have every Tuesday are always challenging but enriching, and have shaped my politics dramatically.

Ending global capitalism is, in my opinion, the most urgent and profound challenge in our time. It is responsible for a myriad of existential threats, including; climate change, corroding democracy, the exacerbation of racism, the degradation of our collective mental health, and countless other issues. If we can challenge this particular structure of power, I believe our generation can continue to pass on the torch of humankind and avoid global collapse.

I spend most of my time at the Commons, and I’ve had countless conversations with friends and even strangers which I will always look back on fondly. For me, Commons is teeming with energy and is somewhere I always look forward to spending time in. There are too many great memories I’ve had there to single any of them out!

My advice: don’t be afraid to be weird. Weird people are the most interesting in my opinion, so follow your curiosities and don’t hold back if they take you somewhere you didn’t expect. Basically, if you’re curious about literally anything, let it guide you. I think humans in general need more weird people to talk to.

Right now I’m looking at graduate programs for philosophy, and am most interested in the University of Oregon and Villanova University. If I can get a PhD, I want to teach at the university level and write books.

Any Fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I have a twin! His name is Elijah.