Student Spotlight: Michelle Bamidele C’21

Michelle Bamidele C’21

I was born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Newark, NJ

I liked that Drew was close to my home and yet it seemed a world away. I felt like Drew would be a fresh start for me to experience the quietness of small-town life compared to the hustle and bustle of city life. The greenery excited me when I visited Drew as a senior in high school, and I just knew it would be home.

Why did you choose Biology as a major and Public Health as a minor?

Coming into Drew I knew I wanted to be a biology major. The overlapping classes the major had with the requirements for many health professional schools was my primary reason since I knew I wanted to work in the health field. This is why medical school is where I thought I wanted to be. However, while at Drew I began to free myself slowly of preconceived notions that the only way to be a health professional was through medical school. As I released myself from that mindset a world of careers became available to me.

My biggest mentors are Joelle Falaise and Twannah Ellington Assistant Directors from the Educational Opportunity Scholars (EOS) program. They knew me since I was a freshman and walked me through my whole college experience. I can always count on them to give me great advice and I really appreciate the whole mentorship EOS gave me.

The world issue that tugs at my heart is the poverty level in Nigeria and the lack of readily available medical assistance to many of those in poverty. I would love to be a part of a medical/humanitarian group that changes the narrative and assists families to pay for their medical bills in order to allow all people the right to health. As well as to peacefully share the gospel of Christ to all people all over the world.

One of my favorite memories from Drew was when I decided to attend an intervarsity Christian fellowship meeting and I dreaded going because I was afraid to be the odd ball out since I did not know what to expect. I still went despite my fears, and I actually found out that everyone there is so welcoming and loving. It felt great to be a part of a community, a family even, and as I continued to attend each week I learned so much about Jesus and became a Christian!

How has your identity as a first-generation student affected your journey?

Initially, my transition into Drew was difficult for me since I grew up in Newark public schools, not every school in Newark had all the resources to effectively deliver sound education to each student so I held a lot of self-doubts because I thought there is no way I will be able to perform as well as another student who had a sound education from a private school. However, as years progressed I kept doing well and I realized that I could not allow myself to wallow in self-pity but always to give anything I do my best effort regardless of the next person.

Never compare yourself to anyone because we all are different and have different talents and gifts. I would say especially to my fellow “inner-city kids” that you were accepted into Drew for a reason and regardless of where you are from or how you look, you will succeed and find your rightful place in the world. Never give up and surround yourself with mentors that are not willing to give up on you.

What are your career goals and where do you hope to be in 5 years?

I am currently pursuing the 4+1 program with Drexel University, and after getting my degree I will work as a nurse for two years then go on to get my master’s to be a nursing practitioner. As a nursing practitioner, I would like to use my degree to work with medical mission programs in various places all over the world to make a difference in the lives of many families and spread the gospel of Christ.