Student Spotlight: Hannah Goldbach C’21

Hannah Goldbach  C’21                                   

I was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Drew’s proximity to New York was really attractive to me, as well as the small class sizes and the Baldwin Honors program. I also loved the campus and coming from the South was really excited about the outdoor opportunities nearby.

Why did you choose English and Philosophy as your majors?

English has always been my favorite subject. I love literature and writing and hope to make that my life someday. Philosophy was an accident. I signed up for Professor Lee’s Intro class just to see what it was about and ended up adding another one of his classes that very first semester. Since then, I’ve taken classes with Professor Lee every semester.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

Teaching has always been part of the goal for me, and in my Freshman year, I was able to work in an ESOL classroom with the Civic Scholars program which really solidified that dream. Eventually, I’d like to be a professor, but that’s a bit down the road.

My first internship was with Google, working in their Area 120 program (experimental app design) for an app called Tailor, which focused on personal styling and concierge shopping (September 2018-April 2019).

I also interned for Not Sorry Productions, a podcast company based in Cambridge, MA that treats fiction novels as sacred texts (September 2019-April 2020).

Over the summer of 2020 I was a workshare at Crabtree Farms in the Tennessee Valley (which is what I’m using as my off-campus requirement).

I’m currently a research assistant for a former Drew professor (Tomás Morín) at Rice University.

My advisor, Writing Professor Dr. Sandra Jamieson, has definitely helped me throughout my time at Drew, especially when I decided to take a semester off. Professor Jens Lloyd has also been helpful in thinking about graduate school.

Abolishing the death penalty is the most important issue for me. It scares me that our government (which many would consider progressive) has explicit permission to kill citizens. I find it disgusting in theory and practice, especially because of the instances where people are wrongly sentenced to death, especially people of color.

My freshman year, during the first snow, my friends and I went out to ‘Tipple Pond’ and slid all around the ice for hours. It was so much fun and I’ll always remember it.

Take at least one class a semester just for fun. That was my goal with Philosophy and it turned out to be my major. You have no idea what you’ll really love until you try it!

Graduate school or teaching in a high school, preparing for graduate school. Potentially teaching ESOL classes as well!

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I lived in New York for a couple of months, and during that time I lived in an apartment with three opera singers.

I’m conversational in Spanish.