Ideas on Building a Professional Community

FROM CONNECTIONS TO COMMUNITY

I was recently talking to a colleague about how a positive from the pandemic has been the large number of connections that we have been able to build that would not have been possible otherwise. Geography is no longer an obstacle; no matter where the expertise lies, as long as we have a reliable internet connection or phone line, we can connect people to who, and what, they need.

It was a great conversation, and both my colleague and I ended the discussion feeling as if the increase in connectivity was truly a blessing.

And yet, driving home that afternoon I couldn’t shake the feeling that I had missed an important point in the conversation. As I reflected further, I started to realize that connections are only the first step; they are not an end unto themselves. In fact, what really makes the difference is when we turn those connections into a stronger community. Once we go from knowing about someone to truly knowing them, and once we can say we know who people are, rather than simply what they know, then we have truly transitioned from building connections to building community.

How can we make sure we move from simple connections to rich community? Here are three steps we can all take.

Full Story

Posted by Dawn LoMauro
Dawn LoMauro Operations Manager/Exec Asst to the Assoc Provost Dawn LoMauro