Student Spotlight: Cristian Carbini C’21

Cristian Carbini C’21

The soccer coach recruited me to play collegiate soccer. Also, the science program Drew offered was very competitive and I loved the area around Drew.

Why did you choose Biology as a major?

I have always loved the sciences so it was obvious for me to pursue something I loved. When I was younger, I used to be outside all day playing in the stream and looking for all sorts of animals. As I grew older my love for animals and natural sciences continued.

I interned at the Morristown Medical Center in the spring of 2020, where I had the opportunity to shadow doctors and residents while they took care of patients.

When did you first start playing soccer and what do you enjoy most about it?

I started playing soccer when I was around 5 years old. My father played soccer in Italy so it was the first thing he got me into. I love the freedom I have with the ball at my feet. I can do anything with it and it keeps me active which is a bonus!

Throughout my 4 years at Drew I have had many mentors that have helped me grow. All my professors at Drew have supported me through all my accomplishments, but specifically, Psychology Professor Dr. Jill Cermele and Biology Professor Dr. Tammy Windfelder. They have both been a huge help, mentoring me whenever I needed it most.

Seeing my suitemates Dom DiSalvo and Brian Cerri at their graduation. They were very big influences in my life and I was proud to see them graduate and go off. Another favorite memory was when we won the conference championship at Drew. The stadium was packed with all my friends and family and when the final whistle blew, everyone rushed the field.

Time really does fly. I remember coming in freshman year and all the upperclassmen telling me that before I know it, I’ll be in their shoes. I just nodded my head and agreed. 4 years later, I am here in my last semester at Drew, and it feels like yesterday I was just coming in. Join a lot of clubs and get yourself involved. Build a network around yourselves so when you graduate, you have connections because that is one of the most important things you’ll need in the future.

I plan to go to grad school to become a Physician’s Assistant. After that, I’d like to use my credentials to maybe pursue something else, or move into another field of medicine that I am passionate about.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I am ambidextrous.