Student Spotlight: Shadayah Tucker C’21

Shadayah Tucker  C’21                                 

When I came to Drew for the campus tour I thought the school was beautiful. They also offered a great scholarship and there was a strong sense of community which I felt was important.

Why did you choose psychology as a major and dance as a minor?

I’ve always been interested in mental health and how it affects people and I always wanted to help people. I decided in high school that psychology would be my way of making a difference. Also, I’ve danced since elementary school, and was always interested in the arts, so I chose to minor in dance.

Two of my mentors are Assistant Directors Joelle Falaise and Twannah Ellington, who are my EOS advisers. They have supported and guided me since the summer before my freshman year at Drew. Not only have they given me educational support, but they also give me constant social and mental support. They guide me, push me to be better, and always present me with opportunities.

I have a very strong stance or many issues but for me mental health and, particularly access to mental health services, is at the top of my list. I also know there are communities of people who don’t have access to mental health services and I think that stems from a greater issue of equality and the lack thereof in this country. This is one of the reasons I am an advocate for mental health and hope by going into this field I can personally make a change in the world or at least make a difference for the people I come in contact with.

Some of my best memories involve meeting new people and having fun with friends. Another favorite memory is being part of the spirituality house and all the events we hosted. Also, I have great memories of late nights in the DOYO practicing for dance shows and connecting with all of the people in the theater and dance department.

How has the EOS program (Francis B. Sellers) impacted your time at Drew?

Being a part of this program has been a big part of my journey. I was able to have constant support and guidance throughout these four years which has been great for me.

This is the beginning of your journey but everything is a process. Don’t push yourself too hard and make sure to give yourself personal/mental health days. Work hard but don’t overwork, and allow yourself to really enjoy and bask in this college journey. Try new things, meet new people, and don’t be afraid to venture out of what you know. Hold onto your values and keep who you allow in your space sacred and have fun because it will be over sooner than you think.

My career goal is to open up my own marriage and family therapy practice that will also offer dance therapy.  In five years I hope to be working in this field and possibly be in the process of getting my Doctorate.

Are there any fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I quote I like to always keep in mind is “don’t idolize anyone except the person you have the potential to be.”