Student Spotlight: Anastasia Karakantis  C’22

Anastasia Karakantis  C’22

I was born and raised in Athens, Greece and I loved how close Drew was to NYC and also that it felt like a school in the forest.

Why did you choose math and physics as majors?

I have always been good with numbers and I enjoy problem-solving, as well as spotting patterns, so I always knew I would be involved in this field.

In the summer of 2019 I had an internship at an insurance company called INTERAMERICAN in Greece, where I helped with sorting data into categories, and organizing files into specified folders.

When I declared my majors I was assigned professor Dr. Minjoon Kouh as my advisor. He is so knowledgeable about physics’ opportunities post-graduation which is exactly what I needed when I felt lost about the future.

Have you studied abroad or done any short or nycTRECS?

I have studied abroad in Barcelona. I went to UAB and did a summer semester right before I started at Drew. I took a course called ‘Career Development for the Common Good’ where we worked on a project with the objective being how our majors could help benefit the world. My project was about studying renewable energy and how I can help make it more accessible and attractive to large corporations.

As I get older I get more scared about the environment. I definitely want to use my physics degree to benefit the environment, as mentioned in the project I did in Barcelona.

My favorite memories are definitely all on the field playing rugby with my best friends that have become my family. The thrill of playing as a team makes me feel like I’m a part of something big and important. Being on a team has taught me life skills that I will take with me in every aspect of my life and career.

How has your identity as an international student impacted your journey?

I believe that being an international student has given me an advantage because I am able to see things from a different perspective because Greece seems like a whole different world from the US, as well as the Greek mindset. It has also given me the opportunity to learn so much about the culture here in the US. I was surprised to see how diverse Drew is and how many international students from all over the world attend Drew.

Absolutely get involved. Try out different sports and clubs. It is the easiest way to meet people and make you feel more comfortable and feel like you belong.

As a junior, I am still not fully confident about what career I want. I would like to one day be researching renewable energy because I want there to be more advances. It would make me feel like I am doing something good for the world and so I think I would be happy doing that.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

When I am older and have more time I want to learn how to play the piano and how to speak French!