Student Spotlight: Tiago Torres C’21

Tiago Torres  C’21                                    

I liked that Drew was very close to home. Also, since it was a smaller university, I knew I was going to be able to build strong connections with my professors and classmates. Finally, the environment Drew offers is one of a kind because you are surrounded by trees and wildlife and I love the outdoors.

What made you choose Business as a major?

All my life, I was exposed to business. My dad, who owns his own mechanic shop made me realize that business was more than a job, it was a lifestyle which motivates you to do more and more each day. Therefore, I knew business was the right choice for me because I know that one day I will follow in his footsteps.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

When I started at Drew, I wanted to work on Wall Street because I was addicted to stocks and helping people.

I have had two internships with PSEG in Newark, NJ. This internship opportunity started in the summer of 2019 through a program called the All Stars which helps low income students by exposing them to Top 500 companies all over the U.S. At my first internship with PSEG I shadowed Maintenance Supervisors on their day-to-day jobs learning everything they do. My current internship with PSEG started in August 2020 and I review and process invoices for a company that works for PSEG in their Project Cost Department.

I have two people who have helped me through my 4 years at Drew. First, my advisor Dr. Christopher Andrews who has guided me on the right path in order to graduate. My second mentor here at Drew is Vincent Masco, the former Associate Athletic Director, who recently retired. He helped me in so many ways, especially in my work ethic!

The issue in the world that means the most to me is poverty. In high school, I was exposed to many people who had been homeless or hungry at some point in their lives which is so sad because I believe that no one should ever go through that.

Winning the Paul Seymour Service award in 2019 (an award given by Drew’s Athletic Department for leadership, character and service.)

A big piece of advice would be to take every opportunity that is thrown at you.

My career goal is to be financially stable working at a job that I love.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

• I am a huge FC Porto fan. (They are a soccer team in Portugal where my mother was born).
  • I love to swim and play waterpolo.
  • I speak three languages fluently: Portuguese, Spanish, and English.