Spanish Major Connects to the Business World

My name is Rosie Grasso C’21 and I am pursuing a double major in Business and Spanish and have almost completed my time here as an undergraduate student. With that being said, I have had the time to reflect upon the impactful experiences that have motivated me along my journey and continue to serve as guiding factors in my decision-making process as I prepare to enter the workforce.

In my mind, business and Spanish have always been very intertwined. I was fortunate to partake in a course called “Doing Business in the Hispanic World” (Span. 379) within the Spanish Department at Drew. This course has been particularly pivotal in my understanding of business in Latin American countries and continues to have tangible applications with regards to my desired career path. The curriculum of this course is designed to prepare students to thrive in business situations and teaches them the tools necessary to achieve this success. For example, a requirement of the course is mock interview which is a one-on-one with Spanish Professor Monica Cantero-Exojo. A critical goal of this formal interview is to capture all aspects of a real-life interview. Professionalism is a major requirement throughout this exercise.

Another practical and constructive portion of this formal interview process is creating a curriculum vitae and a cover letter. Both of these documents are essential skills students must master in order to maximize their chances of success and be able to accurately present and describe their skills and experiences. Nowadays, it is not uncommon for bilingualism to be listed as a requirement for a job opportunity, rather than simply a preferred aptitude. It is experiences such as those provided through this course that allow students an added advantage. It is incredibly helpful to go through this process and receive feedback as to the aspects one can improve upon. That is to say, when the time comes to submit a CV or cover letter in another language, the student has already had exposure to the concept and has strengthened any areas of weakness.

In addition to this major objective of the course, students are introduced to business terminology in Spanish, translation and interpretation, along with the varying business practices of countries across Latin America and Spain. Aside from my personal reasons for taking this course, I found it to be particularly enjoyable due to the wide breadth of topics covered. Furthermore, I greatly appreciated the diversity uncovered upon studying and analyzing the nature of business dealings mainly in Latin American countries. I would recommend this course to anyone who seeks to improve their knowledge about business in the Hispanic world or anyone looking to have a future in business as a bilingual professional.