Student Spotlight: Spencer Harrington C’21

Spencer Harrington C’21                                    

I was born in Wisconsin but grew up in Massachusetts, 45 minutes south of Boston, then moved to New Jersey going into my junior year of high school.

I was attracted to the beautiful campus and the helpfulness of the staff.

What made you choose your Anthropology as a major and Archeology and History as minors?

I have always loved history but when I was a history major I felt like something was missing. I have always had a fascination with bones so I decided to link the two together and focus on Bioarchaeology.

As of now, I am planning to go to Portugal to work on an archaeological site and a lab that will allow me to work with skeletal remains, but it is currently on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

All of my professors have supported me especially Dr. Marques. She has helped me with the process of getting involved with Bioarchaeology. If it wasn’t for her, I would not be doing what I am doing now.

My advice would be: Work at your own pace. There are some who will be way ahead of the curve and some who will be a little behind it. Take your time. Do what makes you happy. Life is not a race. We are exactly where we are supposed to be and it is you who controls your destiny.

In the Spring of 2022, I plan on attending graduate school with hopes of being a Bioarchaeologist and give those a name who did not make it into the history books and tell the stories of their life.

Are there any fun fact (s) you would like to share?

In 2018 I received my Associates degree in History from the County College of Morris. I was also an athlete growing up and played ice hockey at an elite level until I got hurt and ended my career. I even played for a national championship.  After I could not play anymore, I focused on my academics and took upon new hobbies. When not in school I work construction, I love to travel, hang out with friends, and play baseball with my brother, as well as reading about the latest archaeological discoveries.