Student Spotlight: Evelyn Grace Viveiros C’21

Evelyn Grace Viveiros C’21

Right outside of Providence, RI

Their generous scholarships, the beautiful campus, and small class size.

Why did you choose Theatre and Studio Art as majors?

I chose theatre as a major because I had worked professionally as an actor in my senior year of high school and wanted to continue exploring the field. I chose Drew over an acting conservatory program because I knew I wanted to be able to still take classes in painting and drawing since it was my favorite subject in high school.

Evelyn Grace Viveiros | Hoyt Lounge, 2021, 18 x 24 in., oil pastel on canvas.

I have had an idea of a dream job as an artistic director of a theatre company for a long time, but as I decided to make studio art a double major with theatre, I am exploring more careers that join theatre and studio art together.

Evelyn Grace Viveiros | The Stovelight, 2020, 24 x 18 in., oil on canvas

I was most recently the administrative intern for the Trinity Repertory Company, a theatre company in Providence, RI in the summer of 2020. I worked with their education department and helped implement summer programs over online formats as well as helped direct the in-person programming.

I was also an assistant director and director for youth summer programs for the GAMM Theatre, another company in RI during the summer of 2019.

For my work-study job I worked in the box office of the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey.

My painting professor Jason Karolak has been a wonderful guide and sounding board over the years as I gained confidence to make the leap from being a studio art minor to a major who is now in senior studio this year. He has seen the progression of my work from sophomore year to now, and is always giving the senior studio students good advice and sharing interesting things that are happening in the art world.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short, long, or nycTRECs?

I participated in the London Semester longTREC during the Fall of 2019 and it was one of my favorite experiences ever, and definitely top three with Drew. It meant a lot to me and my personal growth to live in an apartment with my peers and have a lot more responsibility than you usually have living on campus. It taught me a lot about myself, my interests, and brought me closer to my friends.

Right now, I am very worried about the depletion of natural resources that the world is facing. I’m worried about human’s impact on the earth. There was a recent art installation on the side of a skyscraper that was a giant timer counting down to the “point of no return” for the depletion of natural resources on earth — it says around 7 years, and it’s counting down every minute.

Evelyn Grace Viveiros | Untitled, 2020, 12 x 9 in., oil pastel on linen.

Some of my favorite memories from Drew include having picnics with my friends as the weather gets warmer in the spring, performing in the chapel at Seminary Hall for Drew’s theatre fringe festival, eating chicken nuggets at Commons on a Saturday morning, and sleeping on the most haunted floor of the oldest dorm building in one of the top five most haunted universities (there was for sure a ghost there).

I wish I had known to go with what feels right to you. If you come to Drew with your friends from high school, and all of them want to be theatre majors, but you really like chemistry and don’t want to lose them, don’t worry about it! It’s okay to have different interests than your friends and it will help you grow as an individual to get to know people not just in your immediate major. One of the reasons I loved my double major with studio art so much was because it allowed for a completely different kind of creativity and socialization than in my theatre major — it was something that kept me balanced at school. Finding that balance takes time, and I wish I had been told that it is a practice worthy of your time to do what you really, really care about. Where and when else can you take whatever classes you want with helpful people who want to see you do well? It’s so, so important to do what you love, and stick with it. Soon, you will look back on your time in college and find threads of interests you didn’t even realize were so important to you staying in your daily life. I never thought I would be an art major, and here I am as a senior looking back on the way art has impacted my life and am realizing that of course I’m an art major, I’ve been making things every day since I was in elementary school! It sneaks up on you.

As a senior graduating during a pandemic after being away from my peers and campus for a year, I can say that I do have some career ideas, but nothing concrete. Right now I know that I want to attend grad school sometime in the next five or eight years for either painting, art therapy, or art history. I have always had a drive to keep theatre in my life and I have a life goal of being an artistic director for an arts venue. I hope to be there in about 25 years, though, not five. That would be really cool if that happened so soon, though.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

A few Drew Easter eggs: If you’re up late at night in the springtime on campus (around 11pm or midnight), sometimes you can see the families of deer walking around the grounds. And yes, the spray-painted Wally’s are all around campus – I found a few in the library … good luck!

Evelyn Grace Viveiros | A Dog Named Baby, 2020, 10 x 20 in., oil on canvas

Evelyn Grace Viveiros | Hoyt Window, 2019, 26 x 16 in., oil on canvas.