Student Spotlight: Jalyssa Matos C’22

Jalyssa Matos C’22                                      

Drew was one of the last colleges I looked at my senior year of high school, and as soon as I stepped on campus I knew this was the school for me. It’s conveniently located close to NYC and my hometown, and provides me with the ability to take classes in the many disciplines that now interest me!

Why did you choose Psychology as a major?

Psychology was really my only interest in high school, and once I took the intro course here at Drew I knew I wanted to dive deeper into the subject.

Last summer I had an internship with the Child Development Lab (CDL) at the College of Staten Island. This internship has helped me to develop many research skills, from developing a coding manual, to running research sessions and then coding them. I still volunteer with them presently, and we recently submitted an abstract to SRCD and NCUR, which were both accepted and will be presented in early April!

One of my mentors is Dr. G. Scott Morgan, who is my advisor and three-semester running favorite professor!

One of my favorite memories was at the end of my freshman year, the First Annual Picnic. My friends and I all ate dinner together and then enjoyed the ice cream truck, as well as pretending we were in Wipe Out on the bounce house challenges!

What advice would you give students who are just starting out that you wish you had when you started? Take whatever classes you find interesting, especially if you’re undecided! One of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken was Environment and Society, simply because it interested me and I learned for fun in that class (not that psychology isn’t fun!)

I want to be a speech language pathologist, so I hope to be practicing that in 5 years! I’m unsure of where I want to work (health care facility, school system, private office, etc.)

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I developed a special minor! Because of my interest in speech language pathology, I have to take supplemental classes during the summer at another school. I was able to transfer them into Drew, and developed a special minor with my advisor and mentor, Dr. G. Scott Morgan.

I’m continuing to work with the Child Development Lab, and we are currently drafting a manuscript, where I can be named as a co-author!