Student Spotlight: Linsay Arnold C’23

Linsay Arnold C’23                            

On my second visit to Drew on Accepted Student’s Day, Jessica Lakin, who at the time was the Associate Provost of Academic Administration (now the Provost), sat down with me and my family to have a conversation. Although I knew Drew was small and very community oriented, this put it all into perspective for me. That day my family and I put down our deposit and since then Drew has exceeded my expectations.

What made you choose Business as a major and Media & Communications as a minor?

When Drew announced they were adding Marketing as a major, I began to research what the major would entail and what experiences I could have in that field. I watched many videos and read many articles on marketing and realized that was what I wanted to do but I decided to major in Business with a focus on marketing with a minor in Media & Communications because the field is so broad and there are so many different jobs which include creativity, research/strategy, planning, and so much more.

My biggest mentor at Drew has been Dr. Christopher Andrews. He has helped me with so much within the short amount of time I’ve known him! Also Michelle Taylor from the Counseling Center has guided me through a lot the past two semesters.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short, long or nycTRECs?

I haven’t studied abroad but I plan on applying to The London Semester.  I did the Local Trec during January Term which was a really cool experience to be able to act as if I was abroad while being at home. I had Dr. Jens Lloyd and he was a great professor and really opened our eyes to be able to experience the world from a different point of view.

There are a lot of issues in the world that mean a lot to me so it’s hard to just pick one. Two that stand out are global warming and environmental issues. Last spring I took an Environmental Studies class and it really opened my eyes to the way in which our environment is hurting and continues to be hurt by our actions. There’s so much in the world happening to us and our environment which disturbs the balance of where we live and we cannot anticipate its effects. There are ways in which we can solve these problems although our actions may have little to no solutions. We pretty much only have about eleven years I believe to change the direction of global warming and after that the damage is irreversible.

One of my favorite memories at Drew was a rugby practice we had last fall when in the middle of practice it started to pour. The field got gross and muddy, but we didn’t care and continued to practice. We had such a good practice and really bonded as a team that night. Another favorite memory is the snow day we had last fall. My friends and I took the big tops of plastic containers and sled down the hill behind Baldwin and had so much fun that day. Seeing everyone around campus relaxing and playing was really heartwarming and I knew I chose the right school.

Step out of your comfort zone and fake it until you make it. Although it can be very scary to be in a new place, you have to just let loose and not let your fears consume you. All of this is easier said than done, but when you put it into perspective and think about the future, you would have rather done it than have wished you did it.

My career goals include working in the Marketing industry, not exactly sure what I want to do or focus on, but probably something regarding user experience. I’m also considering a job in journalism. In 5 years I hope to be very successful, very happy with my life, and have my own dog because my Mom would never let us get one growing up!

Are there any fun facts you want to share?

My personality type is ISFJ-T which is the same as Beyonce and Anne Hathaway!

I’m currently trying to learn Vietnamese so I can speak with my boyfriend’s parents.