Student Spotlight: Amy Zavecz C’21

Amy Zavecz C’21

I was born in China but I grew up in New Jersey.

I transferred to Drew University during my sophomore year. I wanted to attend a school that nurtured my interests, would prepare me for graduate school, and help me grow as both an individual and a global citizen. With its rich academics and vibrant student life, I knew I wanted to be part of Drew’s unique community.

Why did you choose art history as a major and Museum Studies & Cultural Management and Archaeology as minors?

In high school and freshman year of college, I took several art history courses and was immediately drawn to the subject. I was particularly interested in the roles cultural change, religion, social reform, and scientific revelations had in shaping art and how these facets could intellectually engage a viewer. I also garnered interest in museum studies and knew that many professionals began their careers as art history majors.

During my time at Drew University, I held various internship positions that allowed me to further my research interests and deepen my understanding of the visual arts arena. During my freshman year, I was a curatorial intern at the Museum of Early Trades and Crafts in Madison, New Jersey where I conducted research for the upcoming exhibition Sweet Treats: Desserts and Delicacies from the Garden State. I also aided with the de-installation of the main gallery exhibition by creating object checklists and transporting objects into storage.

When I was a student intern at the Anita Rogers Gallery in New York City in the spring semester of my sophomore year, I learned about the inner workings of a contemporary art gallery and was responsible for photographing and cataloging the collection of Jack Martin Roger’s drawings, paintings, and prints.

At the Brooklyn Museum in NYC, I am currently the Decorative Arts curatorial intern and I am researching the provenance of 41 objects in the Judaica collection. Here, I review the decorative arts curatorial files with the goal of learning how each object entered the collection.

I also have a second internship at the Museum of the City of New York this spring as the Marketing and Communications Team’s digital projects intern. Since this internship is entirely remote, my project focuses on turning each module in the virtual exhibition Activist New York into a walking tour on Urban Archive. All of these opportunities have been invaluable for preparing me for a future career in the arts and culture sectors.

It is hard to pick just one mentor. All of the faculty in the art history department, Dr. Kimberly Rhodes, Dr. Margaret Kuntz, and Dr. Rita Keane, shaped my experiences at Drew University. It was through their art history and museum studies lessons, as well as their guidance and support outside of the classroom that prepared me for academic success. I would also like to thank Professors Dr. Maria Masucci and Sunita Bhargava for their mentorship as well.

I am particularly alarmed by the rise in Asian American hate crimes in the United States. As an Asian-American adoptee, it is hard to understand the spike in violence and I look to writers such as Nicole Chung for how to make sense of my place in this dialogue.

I always enjoyed getting Saturday morning brunch with my friends at the commons. The Nutella crepes are a favorite of mine and good food always tastes better with friends.

Take a public speaking or communications course even if it is not a major or minor requirement. Any career you pursue will require strong verbal and written communication skills. Additionally, don’t be overly critical of yourself. Success can be measured in various ways and your college experience is not a competition.

I am particularly interested in object and provenance research relating to the World War II era and would love to be a curator of provenance like Victoria Reed at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. I also have a growing interest in the intersection of art and law. Becoming an art lawyer is something that has recently sparked my interest, however, I don’t think I am ready to make a decision about law school just yet.

Any Fun fact (s) you would like to share?

I enjoy rock climbing, traveling, and reading. My favorite book is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.