Student Spotlight: Marvin Vargas C’21   

Marvin Vargas C’21                                  

I was attracted to the close-knit community among the student body as well as faculty and staff, the variety/flexibility in programs, courses, etc., and the natural ambiance of the campus.

What made you choose History and Spanish as majors?

I have always had an interest in history since I was a child. Learning about various historical time periods as well as being able to get involved in hands-on research of your choice along with the ability to use various historical artifacts from the Drew Archives, was a factor in choosing History as a major. For Spanish, being Latino and growing up in a predominantly Latino community, I wanted to maintain and stay close with my cultural roots as well as be able to connect with other Latino students on campus. This contributed to my choice of choosing Spanish as a major as well. Lastly, the close student to professor ratio and closeness in terms of support and learning, really attracted me to these majors as well, as it made you feel like you were a part of a community rather than a number, which helped with excelling in courses of these majors.

I have numerous mentors that have helped, guided, and provided me the support and tools to thrive throughout my time at Drew. These mentors include the Educational Opportunity Scholars staff: Joelle Falaise, Twannah Ellington, and Cordelza Haynes; Advisors: History Professors Dr. Karen Pechilis and Dr. James Carter (History), and Spanish Professors Dr. Monica Cantero, Dr. Raul Rosales, Dr. Nancy Noguera. Besides these important mentors, my parents and close friends at Drew have been a huge support system throughout my years at Drew.

There are numerous ongoing issues in the world that affect many people and something should absolutely be done about it. One of these issues is poverty. I came from an area deemed poor, and I have witnessed how these circumstances have affected my family and many people in the area as well as worldwide. Although there are programs and people out there taking actions to combat poverty and help those in need, it is still a very real issue today across the globe, and is a task in which people need to come together to help and eliminate this issue, as I believe no one should go through hunger or starvation.

Some of my favorite memories from Drew are being able to connect and establish lifelong friendships with people from all over the world through numerous ways such as sports, club events, school dances, within dorms, class, etc.

Do not let social media or the progress/results of others stop you or discourage you from doing what you want and love. Everybody works at their own pace. Stay in your lane, stay focused, consistent, and humble. Also, do not feel afraid or feel forced to pursue tasks you do not like or intend to do, explore the numerous options that are out there.

My career goal is to be able to pursue and master tasks that I love and turn them into platforms that will inspire others to pursue tasks they love as well.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

• During my childhood, I lived in Costa Rica for 2 ½ years. It was one of the best experiences ever!
  • I love sports! I grew up playing sports such as soccer, swimming, and football.
  • I love music as well! I grew up listening to a variety of music such as House music, Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Cumbia, Hip-Hop, etc.
  • Not many people know this, but I’m a pretty big theme park fan!
  • I speak Spanish and am currently learning Italian and Portuguese.