Student Spotlight: Zoe Bowser C’23

Zoe Bowser C’23

I was intrigued by the numerous different TREC opportunities such as the New York semesters and study abroad programs. I was also attracted to Drew’s campus and community, both of which felt very safe and welcoming.

Why did you choose Studio Art as a major?

I’ve had a lifelong love for the visual arts, and exposure to it from the very beginning due to my mom being an artist, illustrator, and bookbinder. Throughout all of high school I took art classes wherever I had room in my schedule, and continued my involvement outside of the classroom as well. It’s something that I’m good at that also brings me immense joy and fulfillment, so to me it was always a given that it would be my major in college.

Did you have a dream job when you started at Drew?

My dream job has always involved working in education and teaching, and that dream has only been further solidified during my time at Drew.

Art History Professor Dr. Rita Keane played a huge role when I was still gaining my footing during my first year of college, and she helped me to better understand my academic and career options, and of course her art history courses are always super fun! I’ve also really looked up to Associate Provost Dr. Daniel Pascoe during my time at Drew. He not only works on constructing the Launch curriculum and community, but also shares my same passion for meaningful and equitable education.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short, long, or nycTRECs?

Not yet, but I plan to participate in the NY Semester on Contemporary Art as well as study abroad in Rome!

Education is the most meaningful issue to me, and I think that teachers and educators are some of the most important workers in our world. They take on an insurmountable number of responsibilities in their work, and equip entire generations of students with the skills and knowledge they need to be happy and successful going forward. Teachers are not only educators, but lifelong mentors and role models.

My favorite memories at Drew include all of the times spent with my two best friends Lizzie and Rachel. We’ve played board games in our rooms, gone to the plant store in Madison, played in the snow, painted rocks and tie dyed shirts in TB lounge, and a million other silly things from our time on campus. I even miss just getting dinner in the Commons every night, and I can’t wait to be back on campus soon.

What advice would you give students who are just starting out that you wish you had when you started? Take advantage of your general education requirements! In my experience, Gen Ed requirements are a fantastic way to take a wide variety of different courses that you wouldn’t have taken otherwise, and to explore a diverse array of disciplines, and who knows, you might just fall in love with the subject and discover a new passion!

My career goals involve attending graduate school and earning a Master’s degree in Education, and then beginning a high school teaching career in the arts. In 5 years I hope to have a classroom of my very own, and to be getting involved in the community by advising clubs and chaperoning plenty of fun student activities. 🙂

Do you have any fun facts you would like to share?

I’m the oldest of five kids in my family, I speak Spanish, and I can juggle!