Student Spotlight: Alexa Ruiz C’21

Alexa Ruiz C’21                                    

I was born and raised in Miami, Florida so I knew I wanted to be either in or close to New York City. When I visited Drew, I fell in love with the forest. The campus is breathtaking and coming from Florida, I knew being able to watch the seasons change on Drew’s campus was going to be mesmerizing, and it was! I was also attracted to Drew’s small class sizes! Coming from a small high school, this transition was simple and stress free.

Why did you choose Biology as a major?

Growing up, I was always intrigued by science related subjects, but my main interest in the Biology major was knowing I needed science credits to apply to chiropractic school.  My dream job is to be a chiropractor. I was going to enroll myself into chiropractic school right after graduating high school, but I thought, “What’s the rush?” and took advantage of my younger years and decided to experience “the college life”.

Yes, I decided to fulfill my “off campus experience” requirement after my freshman year at Drew in my home town Miami, FL. My internship was with an amazing sports medicine Chiropractor, Dr. Geoffrey Rudy at a physical therapy office called Jaguar Therapeutics. My internship consisted mainly of observation, scribing, note taking and learning strengthening exercises to later teach the patient. Through this internship I was able to remain in a relationship with Dr. Rudy and come back every following summer to learn more.

The wonderful kitchen staff at Drew University has been a huge support throughout my years of college. Some of the most hardworking and compassionate people on Drew’s campus are the chefs at the Commons. Dr. Tammy Windfelder has also been a great addition to my success at Drew U. She is an amazing advisor and always makes sure you’re on the right track!

World hunger. Nothing hurts my soul more knowing there are millions of children and adults going to bed on an empty stomach and dying from a lack of food.

Holiday Ball, the last weekend at Drew, and going to the DR with DHP.

How has your identity in the Visible/Invisible Disabilities community affected your journey at Drew?

Drew’s Office of Accessibility Resources has been amazing throughout my 4 years at Drew. Everyone who works for that office has been a huge influence in my academic studies and has helped me graduate on time.

If you are not from New Jersey, buy the right attire for the colder months! Do not be that girl in the snow wearing ultra boosts (me). Also, just be kind to everyone. Don’t limit yourself to one friend group, because trust me that group will change throughout the years.

I recently just got into my top choice Chiropractic school (Southern California University of Health and Sciences) and I will be there for the next 3-4 years. Once I become a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.), I aspire to start my own practice one day and possibly travel around the world sharing what I love to do with the less fortunate.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

Through my job, I have worked with many athletes in the NFL.

My first language was Spanish.

Drew Honduras Project