Student Spotlight: Renata Primmer C’22

Renata Primmer C’22                      

Drew’s campus is beautiful and only 30 minutes away from home. I am a member of the Drew softball team and after meeting Head Coach Erica Mehalick and the team when I came to visit, I knew it was the right fit for me. I also love the small school environment you get at Drew. The professors are so helpful and there are great connections to be made here.

Why did you choose Business as a major?

I always knew I wanted to be a business major. I am taking many courses related to management, sales, and marketing. Since the business major at Drew is very broad and covers many aspects of the business world, I was able to take many finance and economics courses as well.

I have always had a strong desire to be an entrepreneur and to some day run my own business. I believe the key to success lies within a strong team, and that has motivated me to want to educate myself in human resources management.

When did you start playing softball and what do you enjoy about it?

I have dedicated much of my time to softball growing up. I started playing travel softball when I was 12 all the way through high school. I love the mental and physical toughness the game brings and the friendships I have built. I knew I wanted to play in college and when I got in touch with Head Coach Erica Mehalick and did an overnight visit, I knew Drew was the place for me. It really felt like home here. I love the camaraderie through sports at Drew. Playing a sport here has allowed me to develop leadership, teamwork, and communications skills to use in my everyday life.

Do you have any mentors?

Coach Erica Mehalick and Assistant Coach Brittany Deieso have been my mentors since my first day at Drew. They have taught me how to manage my time here, how to be mentally tough, and they are always there whenever I need them.

Professor Yahya Madra in the Economics Department has been a huge mentor to me. He taught two of my favorite courses at Drew: Intermediate Microeconomics 301 and History of Economic Thought 316. After taking his courses and enjoying them so much I decided to become a tutor for Intermediate Microeconomics 301.  He is extremely intelligent and has pushed me to be the best student I can be.

I enjoy going to other sports games, especially the basketball games with my teammates.

Another great memory is going to Florida for our softball spring break training trip.

The best advice I could give to students who are starting their journey at Drew is to utilize everything Drew has to offer. Drew has a great academic center with subject and writing tutors as well as academic coaching. They have helped me immensely with my academics and inspired me to become a tutor to help other students as well.

I hope to work in human resources and someday open my own business.