Student Spotlight: Christine Bradshaw C’21

Christine Bradshaw  C’21                      

I received a call from the very lovely Sunita Bhargava, Director of Transfer and Continuing Education, the summer before I attended Drew University. Her personal call to congratulate me on receiving the Asbury Scholarship and Phi Theta Kappa scholarship made me feel like I was already a part of the Drew community. After doing some research on Drew’s wonderful psychology program and touring the campus, I was pretty much sold.

Why did you choose Psychology as a major and Neuroscience as a minor?

As a middle schooler, I found a documentary on Youtube about a girl with childhood schizophrenia named Janie. I then bought her father’s memoir on what raising Janie was like. From there, I believe my interest in understanding other mental illnesses evolved as well as my fascination with other people’s stories. I also have struggled with mental illness and have witnessed people close to me struggle as well. A close friend of mine passed away from her battle with anorexia nervosa and substance abuse around my freshman year of community college. It was around this time I really knew I wanted to pursue psychology in hopes of helping others like her.

I was wary of studying neuroscience but I am glad I stuck with it because it has proved to be a crucial part of understanding psychology and vice versa.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

During my time at Drew, my future career path was constantly changing. The one variable that remained constant was my desire to help others, whether that was through research or one-on-one therapy.

I have conducted my own research alongside Psychology Professor Dr. Christopher Medvecky addressing the gap in psychological literature which is how borderline personality disorder features have on teen dating violence titled, Perceptions on Teen Dating Violence and the Influence of Borderline Personality Disorder Features: Room for Education. I am still in the editing process, but I hope to have my work published in the future. I also am currently working alongside Dr. Graham Cousens in a Directed Research course evaluating a low cost, open-source platform (Cyton biosensing board, OpenBCI, Brooklyn, NY) to assess nasal airflow characteristics during intra-oral fluid sampling. Both professors helped introduce me to the field of research which I am awfully grateful for.

Of course, I am most passionate about mental health awareness, but I also am passionate about issues like global warming, domestic, child, and animal abuse, homelessness, women’s rights, and racial and gender inequality.

I wish I had realized earlier that no one in college is supposed to have it “all together”. College is a place to learn about yourself and your studies. You’re bound to mess up, it’s a fact. Keep this in mind and be kind to yourself.

After I work for a year or so after graduating, I plan on studying criminology or social psychology in hopes of earning my PhD. I’d hope to work in either higher education as a professor or in a clinical laboratory setting studying behavior. Aside from my work in psychology, my other aspirations for the next five years are to adopt an old tabby cat, have my own place with a small garden, and have a side business making cool tie-dyed socks called “Trippy Toes”.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

My hobbies are skateboarding, paddle boarding, painting in the abstract, photography, and traveling with my dad. Little things I love are iced matcha, collecting cool rocks and geodes, and listening to music in the car with friends.

Final Thoughts?

I’d like to take the time to thank my mom, dad, Steph (especially), uncle Brian, aunt Delynn, Uncle John, and my beautiful grandmother, “Mary Moo”, for their constant support and guidance. I love you guys.