Student Spotlight: Isabel (Izzy) Alcantara C’22

Isabel (Izzy) Alcantara C’22                             

I was attracted to Drew because of the small intimate class sizes and the opportunity to build relationships with professors, as well as the 94% success rate of Drew graduates ending up in a graduate school program or a job within their major within six months of graduation.

Why did you choose Anthropology as a major?

I chose Anthropology because it incorporates the biological sciences as well as the social sciences. It is considered a multidisciplinary field because it takes aspects from every realm of the real world and connects them to one another.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

My idea of a dream job is genuinely enjoying what I’m doing, making a difference in the world, as well as being financially stable in life, traveling, and doing research on ecology, wildlife and ethnographies.

My mentors include Biology Professor Dr. Tammy Windfelder. In my opinion she is among one of the best professors at Drew. Her passion and knowledge shines through in her teaching. Anthropology Professor Dr. Allan Dawson is also one of my favorites. His knowledge of the real world, and the research he has conducted, is fascinating.

Issues that mean the most to me are climate change and equal rights for all individuals cross-culturally. Anthropology majors pride ourselves on making the world and its people more knowledgeable.

My favorite memories of Drew involve seeing the beautiful campus when the seasons change, particularly in the fall and spring.

How has your identity as a first-generation and Latinx student affected your journey at Drew?

These identities inspire me.

Don’t be afraid to engage in class with your classmates and professor. Professors here really value their student’s intake and opinions and encourage you to engage often.

My career goal is to finish Graduate School in an Anthropology program and hopefully receive my Ph.D. I would like to do research on non-human primates’ fairness and equity with Capuchin monkeys or study primates in general. I am curious about anything that incorporates humans, biology, anthropology, and the ever-evolving ecosystems of the earth.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

I have been a South Jersey Native my whole life, born and raised.

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset