Student Spotlight: Emilee Marshall C’22

Emilee Marshall C’22                                 

The distance from home – far enough away where I could be my own person, but close enough that if needed I would be able to get home. Also, being able to play college softball.

Why did you choose Business as a major?

I took the “Business of Sports” class my freshman year with basketball coach, Darryl Keckler, and it made see all the cool things that can be done in business. Business just made sense for me from there on out.

Yes, my first internship was with Tell Every Amazing Lady, an ovarian cancer organization, online during my junior year fall. Tell Every Amazing Lady is a non-profit based out of Brooklyn, NY. I created graphics for social media posts and emails, reported on social media outreach to senior management weekly, targeted and increased fundraising through social media campaigns and also acquired experience through health care advocacy.

My most recent internship is with Play Smart Literacy out of Chicago, IL. This internship was also online and took place this summer and I still do work with them currently. I worked on the organization and creation of their junior board, brainstormed fundraising and social media posts weekly and redesigned parts of their website to promote different jobs I was working on.

When did you first start playing softball and what do you enjoy about it?

I started playing softball seriously in 6th grade, after my very short stint in pre-k where I quit because I wanted to be a princess instead. From 6th grade on, I wanted to play softball because of how good my mom was when she was in college. She was a Hall of Famer in high school and in college and I wanted to be just like her. I love how mental the game is. Although softball is played on a field, you really play mostly between the 5 or so inches of your mind since it’s such a mental game.

One of my greatest mentors at Drew is Professor and Chair of the Department of Economics and Business, Dr. Maliha Safri. Her classes allowed me to think in different ways than I was traditionally used to thinking. She taught my favorite class at Drew, Political Economy of Race, Class and Gender, and I have taken a class with her every year.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short, long, or nycTRECS?

I did the Semester on Social Entrepreneurship in NYC in the Spring of 2021. Although we were online we met with people from all over the world who were interested in non-profit work. Non-profit work is something I was not knowledgeable about until I got to Drew and now working in this field is one of my dream jobs.

Universal Healthcare. Ever since both of my parents passed in December of 2019 I have been passionate about universal healthcare. I feel that it is something that we should have for those just in case scenarios because life changes at the blink of an eye.

A few of my favorite memories at Drew include hanging out with my friends on the softball team. I also loved going to events like the Holiday Ball and the basketball games!

How has your identity in the Limited Resources Identity/Affinity Community affected your journey at Drew?

Due to my parents passing, I am on my own when it comes to income. I was able to have an on campus job and not have to worry much about how I would pay for things at Drew. I say every day that I am glad I ended up at Drew and that it was where I was meant to end up.

Do not be afraid to get involved. Drew is so small that you will eventually meet most people anyway so don’t be afraid to venture out and do what you love to do.

After Drew I hope to get my teaching certification and teach high school business. During/after that I would like to open my own business or non-profit and be successful doing that!

Are there any fun facts you would like to share? 

I live on campus with my dog Dakota.