Student Spotlight: Sam Harvey C’22

Sam Harvey C’22                                

The forest! I love living on a campus with so many trees and access to forests with trails.

Why did you choose to major in Music and German and minors in Italian and Film?

Music is my passion! I think people look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I’m majoring in music because some people think jobs in the field of music aren’t “real jobs.” I’ve been a musician my whole life, learning more instruments along the way. I now record and produce my own original music. I’m currently working on my third album. I took German starting my freshman year at Drew. I needed three semesters for the language requirement, and I just couldn’t give it up! German is my Oma’s first language and in learning German, it has brought us closer together. I started taking Italian for fun my sophomore year. I fell in love with Italian music and wanted to learn how to speak the language so I could sing along to Eros Ramazotti songs. I declared a minor in film after taking a course called “Music and the Soundscape of Film.” It gave me a deeper appreciation for film scores and really connected techniques I had learned in other music courses to real-life situations, such as composing film scores.

Did you have an idea of a dream job when you started at Drew?

In a perfect world I’d be a rock star but I have so many other interests and passions.

I think all of my academic advisors have been super helpful in terms of guiding me through my Drew experience. Italian Professor Dr. Emanuele Occhipinti has been the most influential. His outlook on learning new languages and challenging yourself in healthy ways has been so encouraging and is half the reason I declared an Italian minor. He has been so accommodating, especially since he knows I’ve got a full plate with double majoring and minoring.

Have you studied abroad? Done any short, long, or nycTRECS?

Last semester I participated in the Museums and Society  nycTREC with Art History Professor Dr. Peggy Kuntz and Anne Ricculli. Unfortunately, it was online due to the pandemic but I still learned a tremendous amount. Peggy and Anne took the course and made it work with the circumstances we were given. It was impressive. It was an amazing experience and I’m glad I was able to be part of it.

So many. This world has a lot of issues. It’s an imperfect place. Everything from climate change to LGBTQ+ rights. One issue that’s been on my mind recently has been reproductive rights and deserving the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

Some of my favorite memories of Drew are from Drew Pagan Society. My two best friends are on the executive board with me, and we have many good friends in the club with us. Every time we have a meeting it feels like coming home. This is my second year being the president of such a lovely club. It has become my life. I found a place here and my board and I keep the club running strong so that other students can learn and maybe find a place with us here as well. Other honorable mentions are honestly most days with my roommate, who will not hesitate to blast Dolly Parton or binge watch “Dance Moms” with me.

How has your identity in the Faith, Religion, & Spirituality Identity/Affinity Community affected your journey at Drew?

I never identified as a pagan until coming to Drew and joining the Drew Pagan Society my freshman year. Once I learned what paganism is, I realized that paganism is everything I was looking for in a religion.

Step outside your comfort zone and try new things. Get involved in clubs and events on campus. You will meet new people with similar interests and it will be so worth the effort.

I don’t know and I think that’s okay for now. It’s okay not to know what the future holds. All I know is that I’ll still be doing things that bring me happiness.

Are there any fun facts you would like to share?

My original music is available on all major streaming platforms.

You can check it out here: https://linktr.ee/officialsharvey